Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rebore a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Rebore a barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by beretzs View Post
I had a 338 Win Mag rebored/rechambered to 35 Newton. Cost 250.00 from doorstep to doorstep by JES. Pretty tough to beat that price for any barrel, let alone getting a smith to put it on.

Not saying it is better than a full custom job, but it is 3 groove, cut rifling and it is shooting very well for me so far.

If you have question, give JES a call. Very user friendly and great work from what I can tell.
Thanks, that's on my list of things to do.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
I have had Danny, at Classic Barrel Works, bore and rifle several for me, and, I will have him do more in the future. The only ones I have had done have been those originally made by one of the custom makers (Krieger, Hart, Shilen, etc.). I would not bother to send a 'factory' barrel to have it rebored and rifled unless it was to restore a valuable piece that I wanted to keep in original configuration.
yes- a pre garcia sako or a pre 64 model 70 . or the others shotgrass mentioned. the barrel makers i know say it is easier and better to just get a new barrel .
Old 12-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

It may not always be cheaper to buy a new custom barrel vs re-boring/re-rifling the existing barrel.

I have two #5 fluted SS liljas that cost quite a bit of money. One is longer than standard offering the other has a brake. They will be re-rifled when they wear out fitting the rifle perfectly and will cost far less than installing a new barrel with same characteristics.

I have had Dan Pederson do a 30" #7 lilja SS from 7mm to .338 a few years ago and am very happy with the accuracy and low cost.