Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rebore a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Bronze Member

Rebore a barrel

I'm looking to having a barrel rebored to .358 and would like some input from those who have had a barrel rebored.
I plan on having JES do the work and he likes the 3 groove design but also offers 4 and 5 groove. I understand the 3 groove is least expensive to do but have read that for larger calibers it's not recommended. Lija uses a 3 groove on barrels .30 and under.
What are your thoughts or experience with rebored barrels?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Gold Member

Re: Rebore a barrel

Rebore a barrel aint cheap. I looked into reboring my shot out 270 wsm and was left with the question: why?

I think barrel making is as much art as science. And to me a brand new, hand lapped bore is worth the $150 more than a rebored hand lapped surface.

You do understand that $150 is all you're going to save over a new barrel?
And with a little careful shopping you could spend even less, cutting that savings to less than $100.

So I'm back to my original question: why?

All in all, its your decision, you pays your money and you takes your choice.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM
SPONSOR

I have had Danny, at Classic Barrel Works, bore and rifle several for me, and, I will have him do more in the future. The only ones I have had done have been those originally made by one of the custom makers (Krieger, Hart, Shilen, etc.). I would not bother to send a 'factory' barrel to have it rebored and rifled unless it was to restore a valuable piece that I wanted to keep in original configuration.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
I have had Danny, at Classic Barrel Works, bore and rifle several for me, and, I will have him do more in the future. The only ones I have had done have been those originally made by one of the custom makers (Krieger, Hart, Shilen, etc.). I would not bother to send a 'factory' barrel to have it rebored and rifled unless it was to restore a valuable piece that I wanted to keep in original configuration.
Sort of like an original Sendero SF barrel...

I can't wait to get my .25-06 A.I. off the ground, but I really would love to convert it to a 6.5 Sherman with that barrel...Unfortunately, the 0.007" difference in caliber diameter might not be enough to bore the barrel and re-rifle it. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:48 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Sort of like an original Sendero SF barrel...

I can't wait to get my .25-06 A.I. off the ground, but I really would love to convert it to a 6.5 Sherman with that barrel...Unfortunately, the 0.007" difference in caliber diameter might not be enough to bore the barrel and re-rifle it. LOL
I was thinking more in the line of an original pre '64 Winchester 70 or a custom wood stocked rifle made by a long passed gunsmith of notoriety from days gone by. I would do the Winchester just to make it useable again, not to try to turn it into a 'tack driver', although it could well be. Other than that, I'd not bother to send a hammer forged barrel for re-boring and rifling.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

Well, my Sendero SF's mean alot to me, so I guess when I burn out the .25-06 A.I. barrel, I'll have it rebored and 5R rifled as a .284 1:9 barrel for my .280 A.I.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

I had a 338 Win Mag rebored/rechambered to 35 Newton. Cost 250.00 from doorstep to doorstep by JES. Pretty tough to beat that price for any barrel, let alone getting a smith to put it on.

Not saying it is better than a full custom job, but it is 3 groove, cut rifling and it is shooting very well for me so far.

If you have question, give JES a call. Very user friendly and great work from what I can tell.