Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rebarreling a springfield A-3 '06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Rebarreling a springfield A-3 '06

This rifle's original barrel is a horrible fouler. The view through the bore scope shows heavy pitting. I cleaned it up (again) which took days of soaking with boretech eliminator. Treated it with dynatek bore coat which didn't reduce fouling. Time to switch out the barrel. Funny thing, it still shoots right at one inch with handloads.

While I think it would be fun to make a 6.5-06 or a 25-06 my friend has a new springfield barrel I can have. His father made all his sons sporters out of the springfields back in the 60s. He also acquired several new barrels.

Questions:

Will I have difficulty removing the old barrel? I have a barrel vice and have removed modern rifle barrels.

Is the springfield barrel all set to headspace properly or is it a short chamber requiring some cutting with a 30-06 reamer?

Thanks in advance

Ross
Old 10-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Rebarreling a springfield A-3 '06

Not sure how many `03 experts we have here. But I can tell you there are some here:

Sniper's Hide Vintage Sniper Rifles

Register there and post your Q in the Vintage Rifle section. Good group of knowledgeable folks.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rebarreling a springfield A-3 '06

Thanks Laserflat.