Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

rebarreling a sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

rebarreling a sendero

I need to re barrel my 7mm sender.
I am going to stay with the 7MM on this gun is it better to use a after market barrel brand vice having Remington do it. they can rebarrel it for half what my local gun smith can
thanks
retiredcpo
Old 04-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: rebarreling a sendero

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcpo View Post
I need to re barrel my 7mm sender.
I am going to stay with the 7MM on this gun is it better to use a after market barrel brand vice having Remington do it. they can rebarrel it for half what my local gun smith can
thanks
retiredcpo
Do you want a factory barrel that Remington gets for under $100 or a custom SS hand lapped barrel that costs $400?

Why are you rebarreling? Is it due to poor accuracy? 7 mag barrels last for many rounds, it surely is not shot out is it?

Jeff
Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

I agree....Aftermarket barrels are the way to go, unless you just want the gun to be back to original condition for sentimental value or collectors value.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Gold Member

The gun is shot out I have many rounds through it and velocity is starting to fall off. If I use the Hornady guage the bullet is 3/8 of a inch past the end of the case.
I just want it to shot again. This was my first long range rig and I used it for a lot of rock chucks have since added a few more long range guns so when it gets re barreld it will be a big game gun only
will the after market barrels shoot better?
retiredcpo
Old 04-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
The gun is shot out I have many rounds through it and velocity is starting to fall off. If I use the Hornady guage the bullet is 3/8 of a inch past the end of the case.
I just want it to shot again. This was my first long range rig and I used it for a lot of rock chucks have since added a few more long range guns so when it gets re barreld it will be a big game gun only
retiredcpo
Not every aftermarket barrel will shoot better but most will. They are usually more consistent as well.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
retiredcpo
If the throat is the only thing worn out, have it rechambered to 7mmSTW, which will cut out the throat erosion and allow you to still make good use of the same barrel for around $150 by a smith. And for that money, he'll be truing up your headspacing, too, since he's remiving and reinstalling the barrel.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.