Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rebarreling an old Savage is it worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

Rebarreling an old Savage is it worth it?

I have a 20 year old Savage 110 in left handed. It is currently in 270 but has never shot well, I did a trigger job, had the stock glass bedded and barrel freefloated and fire lapped the barrel, it still won't group under 2-21/2 MOA. It was my first deer rifle I got when I was about twelve years old (worked for it and paid for it myself) but I haven't hunted with it since I got out of high school, because I have never been happy with the accuracy. I keep hearing about the accuracy of the new Savages and Savage claims it is mainly in the barrels they are using now. Anyways I was thinking of rebarrelling it in 22-250 for a coyote gun, but was wondering if anybody had tried this with an inaccurate older Savage and what their results were. If it still won't shoot I don't want to waste the money on it, but if it would shoot a long action 22-250 would give a guy a lot of room for long heavy bullets in the magazine.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rebarreling an old Savage is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2 View Post
I have a 20 year old Savage 110 in left handed. It is currently in 270 but has never shot well, I did a trigger job, had the stock glass bedded and barrel freefloated and fire lapped the barrel, it still won't group under 2-21/2 MOA. It was my first deer rifle I got when I was about twelve years old (worked for it and paid for it myself) but I haven't hunted with it since I got out of high school, because I have never been happy with the accuracy. I keep hearing about the accuracy of the new Savages and Savage claims it is mainly in the barrels they are using now. Anyways I was thinking of rebarrelling it in 22-250 for a coyote gun, but was wondering if anybody had tried this with an inaccurate older Savage and what their results were. If it still won't shoot I don't want to waste the money on it, but if it would shoot a long action 22-250 would give a guy a lot of room for long heavy bullets in the magazine.
IMHO, yes ... here's my old Savage 110 also in .270 Win and had it re-barreled to My budget .270 AI ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Heck yeah. If it doesn't shoot sell it. Break it apart sell the barrel and action or as a package. Can't believe how good all of our new savages shoot. IMO it's worth a shot. Pin intended. LOL
Old 11-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Banned

The Savage action is great. Get a new barrel and keep on going!