Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

Rebarrel options?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In a Free State
Posts: 187
Rebarrel options?

TWO QUESTIONS


#1 I'm shooting 308 with at least 1000rds through the tube. Should I change the barrel before I try to start working on loads with the long range stuff so that I'm starting everything from scratch? Yes Yes I know 308 isn't the best long range caliber.

#2 with a standard Remington 700 short action chambered in 308 can I rebarrel in say 7mm WSM??? or do I have to get a stronger action?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 3,263
Re: Rebarrel options?

1. Depending on how much you shoot your 308, you should get 3000+ rounds of life out of it. Given that, I would suggest you go ahead with load development as you have plenty of barrel life left. (also, the 308 is a great long range cartridge. It does have its limitations depending on the task at hand, but all cartridges have that)

2. You can build a 7wsm on a 308 action. The only thing you will need to have done is to open up the bolt face.
__________________
I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In a Free State
Posts: 187
Re: Rebarrel options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
1. Depending on how much you shoot your 308, you should get 3000+ rounds of life out of it. Given that, I would suggest you go ahead with load development as you have plenty of barrel life left. (also, the 308 is a great long range cartridge. It does have its limitations depending on the task at hand, but all cartridges have that)

2. You can build a 7wsm on a 308 action. The only thing you will need to have done is to open up the bolt face.
Great thanks!!

Im hittin clay pigeons at 500yds now with the 178 Amax. I hunt in CA mountains and have 800+ yard shots every year. Since the "effective range" of the 308 as listed by the USMC is 875 I was considering the 270 or 7mm WSM.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 3,263
Re: Rebarrel options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves762 View Post
Great thanks!!

Im hittin clay pigeons at 500yds now with the 178 Amax. I hunt in CA mountains and have 800+ yard shots every year. Since the "effective range" of the 308 as listed by the USMC is 875 I was considering the 270 or 7mm WSM.

Thanks again.
You're right, that shooting at deer beyond 800 with the 308 is pushing the limits of the cartridge.

Given the choice between 270wsm or 7wsm, I would recommend the 7mm. Look at the BC of the 168 and 180VLDs - they crush any 270 bullet.

Also, if barrel life is an issue to you, consider the 300wsm too.
__________________
I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,496
Re: Rebarrel options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
You're right, that shooting at deer beyond 800 with the 308 is pushing the limits of the cartridge.

Given the choice between 270wsm or 7wsm, I would recommend the 7mm. Look at the BC of the 168 and 180VLDs - they crush any 270 bullet.

Also, if barrel life is an issue to you, consider the 300wsm too.
+1

The 7 WSM has a good bullet selection and is very close in velocity to the 7mm Rem Mag.

The WSMs are about the most you can get out of a short action and they need 26" + of barrel.
And the 700 action will handle it with ease.

J E CUSTOM
__________________
"PRESS ON"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,494
Re: Rebarrel options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
You're right, that shooting at deer beyond 800 with the 308 is pushing the limits of the cartridge.

Given the choice between 270wsm or 7wsm, I would recommend the 7mm. Look at the BC of the 168 and 180VLDs - they crush any 270 bullet.

Also, if barrel life is an issue to you, consider the 300wsm too.
The 7mm bullets in no way crush what is coming out recently for the 270, quite the opposite!!!
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In a Free State
Posts: 187
Re: Rebarrel options?

Very good news. Thanks.

Now for the money question.

Anyone know a good gunsmith in San Diego area that you guys would trust with said rebarreling and bolt mods?????

Modify bolt and true to action, rebarrel with 26" + high quality medium wieght barrel, and I guess I need a fancy stock too.....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Rebarrel options?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who to rebarrel M70? rickdavis81 Gunsmithing 7 01-02-2010 02:58 PM
Rem 742 rebarrel Frank7mm Gunsmithing 0 11-14-2008 03:51 PM
Remy rebarrel options ukenout The Basics, Starting Out 9 04-14-2008 10:10 PM
gun rebarrel npd Long Range Hunting & Shooting 7 06-29-2007 10:56 AM
rem 700 rebarrel options. 182a The Basics, Starting Out 12 01-08-2007 12:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC