Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reasonably Priced Good Stocks?? Is There Such A Thing??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

Reasonably Priced Good Stocks?? Is There Such A Thing??

I am going to build a 300 Win. Mag. off of a Savage action and put a Sendero contour barrel on it. Of course it will be used for Longrange hunting and shooting, out to 1000 yards.

The problem is I am having a hard time swallowing the fact that I have to spend $500-$600+ to get one of those cool Manners or McMillan tactical stocks. Is there no other options? I've burned up Google and can't find anything reasonable except a CHOATE stock Varminter and Sniper models, but they are only $189 anybody have one? Are they stiff and strong, good bedding?

The stock I buy will be one like the the Manners T-1 or T-4 or McMillan A5 or A4.

Any suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reasonably Priced Good Stocks?? Is There Such A Thing??

If you're not opposed to laminates, get ahold of Joel Russo here. He makes a laminated version of the A5.

Chris
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

For a quality stock and a deal take a look at Boyds. I like the Ross thumbhole myself.

I don't know current prices, but I paid $400ish for an A5 type in a laminate from Joel Russo.

Richards Microfit is another I see a lot of. Don't know prices on these.

Sometimes ya just gotta spend what's being asked to get what you want...
Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

Sometimes ya just gotta spend what's being asked to get what you want...[/quote]

I know. And I will the spend that much if I have to to get what I want but then again if I don't have to I could put that money somewhere else.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

I like the Manners GAT. Take a look. Good luck!

You know, that Tikka in the wsm of your choice comes with pretty good stock!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

Check with Stockade gunstocks,they specialize in savages.They make a very good stock for the money.If you buy the money saver version,you can save even more money,all you have to do is paint it yourself.I have the prarie dog/tactical stock,and love it.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQguy View Post
Check with Stockade gunstocks,they specialize in savages.They make a very good stock for the money.If you buy the money saver version,you can save even more money,all you have to do is paint it yourself.I have the prarie dog/tactical stock,and love it.
I actually did come across them and they were high on my list of serious ones to consider. I'm glad to hear from someone that has experience with one. What does it weigh? Did you have to bed the action?