Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Re-Chamber or Not? Choices, Choices, what would yours be?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Writers Guild
Re: Re-Chamber or Not? Choices, Choices, what would yours be?

Please don't judge the WM accuracy based on a factory rifle. The WM has set many a 1000yd BR record. It is not better nor worse then any other well prepped cartridge.

So much depends on the throat, loading technique and bullet, and barrel/chamber quality. You can make even the PPC shoot like crap if you set it up wrongly.

If you want the WM again, it is certainly a wonderful choice with an enormous amount of data and components. The 7RM is another superb choice and the route I am going. I hate recoil and the WM and heavier 30 cal bullets just boot more then a streamlined 162grSST.

Also, pretty hard for a 30cal to keep up in the ballistics department until case and recoil get way up there.

So for a walkabout rifle (you must be very strong), the 6.5, 270 and 7mm are also going to be great choices. Just match the bullet to the game and adjust your distance for sufficient impact velocity. The game will certainly not complain about any of these bullets going through the boiler room.

Switching cals and rifles is half the fun of this hobby. If not, we would all be shooting '06s. Pretty boring...

Unread 03-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Gold Member
Re: Re-Chamber or Not? Choices, Choices, what would yours be?

Not a lot that I can add to the excellent posts of Jerry and others, but here are a couple more
You mention using this rifle for game up to moose and bear.
If you want to stay on the same bolt face you basically are limited to:
Then the ultra mag cases if you are willing to singleshot it (probably not aplicable in a hunting rifle)
Which end of the spectrum are you more comfortable shooting a bear with?
if youve got the cases around, Id say, get a matchgrade tube screwed in, stuff it with some heavies, and let her fly. Rem action in a A5, with a 28"ish barrel throwing 220SMKs would be a sweet combo, and will reach a long, long way.