Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Re: BAT Action owners- question on field use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffman View Post

AJ how many rounds do you have down your 338 AM so far?
I don't have an exact count, but it is somewhere around 100. I had 72 down it at the end of last season (3 elk included). I've shot it somewhere around 30 times this spring.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 05-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffman View Post
What reloader do you plan on using Kfrye? I almost went with 375 but do to bullet selection I didn't but reading what kirby has said about it makes me wonder if I should have. I know I won't be dissapointed with the 338 and when I get the 50AM I am sure I won't regret it either .

ANy idea when yours will be done?

I have an antelope hunt in August in New Mexico and am hoping to take the 338 on it.

I have a 30378 wby that is being rebarreled as we speak with a 30" lijia and should be done in june so if not I will take it.

AJ how many rounds do you have down your 338 AM so far?
Loader wise, I will probably pick up either the Corbin or Walnut Hill to double as a swager to make cheap plinker bullets.

I will probably have it finished later this year/early next year. Wildcat bullets is working on the 385-400 gr bullets for the big 375 to improve on the SMK.

I was leaning toward the 338 until these came about.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

I went with the 375 due to the limited bullet selection. That'll keep me from wearing it out as I'm doing with the 270 AM with all of the different bullet options except for the bullet that the cartridge was designed around. Happily that's over w/the resurrection of Wildcat Bullets.

With only the 350 SMK available, at the moment, my tinkeritus will be limited to load the Kirby recommended load, including COL etc, the do the drop chart validation then go harvest somethin'.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I went with the 375 due to the limited bullet selection. That'll keep me from wearing it out as I'm doing with the 270 AM with all of the different bullet options except for the bullet that the cartridge was designed around. Happily that's over w/the resurrection of Wildcat Bullets.

With only the 350 SMK available, at the moment, my tinkeritus will be limited to load the Kirby recommended load, including COL etc, the do the drop chart validation then go harvest somethin'.

Holy cow, Roy. That'll make a little bigger hole than the 270. You have to get in line behind my 338AX build, though.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 05-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Roy,
did you just buy Kirby's 375 he had listed ?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Roy,
did you just buy Kirby's 375 he had listed ?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, but ended guessing he hadn't. Roy?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 05-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

I was going to but from the looks of that group on metal and the fact that it took two shooters to get'er done I didn't think it would meet the accuracy standards necessary for LR elk in Idaho at higher elevations........

Besides what would a fella feel like knowing that that group was shot by two different shooters during marginal lighting conditions and you couldn't replicate that group at 400 yards. Heck you'd wanna slit your wrists.......

No I didn't pick it up. I snagged the bat M and Pac-Nor barrel and 20 moa rail from Earl Fouraker, an A5 from TMR but had to go directly to Jewell for the trigger. Kirby already has the barrel action and stock. The trig will be there in a week or so.

I'll have to go directly to NF for the two sets of light rings. I'm wrangling with Weaver to be one of the first of the new weaver tacticals but I'm getting a bit queazy. The ol' Roy says I can get 2 weavers for one NF but the new Roy says "you're too damn'd old to want to take the risk an any hickup at all. The FFP and optics of my old weaver tactical is to die for and I've been informed (by weaver) that the new one is even better............. Horns of delema.