Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Re: BAT Action owners- question on field use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffman View Post
AJ,

After seeing your 338AM I ordered one from kirby last sept just like yours the only thing different was the stock color and not by much. Its good to know it holds up to the elements because like you I don't keep my guns in the safe. Anway I cant wait til its ready the barrel is in just waiting on stock and receiver shouldn't be much longer.
Wolffman,

If you ever want to talk about reloading for the 338AM, drop me a PM and we can talk on the phone. Although it's not terribly difficult, there are a few things that I've learned about dealing with such a large cartridge.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 05-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffman View Post
AJ,

After seeing your 338AM I ordered one from kirby last sept just like yours the only thing different was the stock color and not by much. Its good to know it holds up to the elements because like you I don't keep my guns in the safe. Anway I cant wait til its ready the barrel is in just waiting on stock and receiver shouldn't be much longer.
Wolffman,

If you ordered the BAT M, it should be done. I ordered mine the second week of January and it was just completed with around 30 others.

I must say thanks to AJ, it helped me take the plunge.

Ken
Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Thanks AJ I will definitely be calling you as soon as the beast comes in I can't wait and will take any advice you have to give.

Kfrye this is what I ordered so hopefully its in and the stock should be ready soon.
I just keep telling myself good things come to those who wait.

BAT Model M 8.5x1.55" single shot receiver................................
BAT 40 moa rail base.............................................. .................
Rail and receiver converted for 6, 10-32 tpi tapred head bolts..........
Lilja or Krieger custom contour barrel...........................................
Barrel fluting if wanted............................................ ....................
Barrel fitting and chambering........................................ ...............
APS "Painkiller" muzzle brake............................................. .......

Matte finish barreled receiver.......................................... ............
Jewell trigger, BR model, installed and tuned...............................
McMillan A-5 Tactical stock............................................. ..........
Adjustable CP................................................ ..........................
APS pillar bedding(3 pillars).......................................... .............
Metal ADL trigger guard............................................. ................
Bolt mounting kit............................................... ........................
2 sets, NF Ultralight 30mm rings............................................. ...
338 AM FL loading die set..

Kirby has been awesome this whole time and I have tried to refrain from sending emails about every 2 months or so cuz I feel like I'm bugging him but he responds and is always happy.

My next project after this will be the 50AM I believe.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

I am surprised you don't have your action yet. I am still waiting on my A5. Still not sure which barrel to hang on mine yet.

What do you plan to use for a reloader?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

The action could have come in in the past few weeks and I hope it has. I will be calling AJ and talking to him about the reloading but I have the RCBS Rock Chucker as of rt now. I plan on using the standard load with 300gr SMK I got 500 of them at a huge discount. If Berger comes out with a 300gr bullet I will try that too.

What AM do you have?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

I'm building a 375. According to Kirby, some of the old Rockchucker can be switched to handle the 1 inch dies, it is just a tight fit to get the long case in there.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

What reloader do you plan on using Kfrye? I almost went with 375 but do to bullet selection I didn't but reading what kirby has said about it makes me wonder if I should have. I know I won't be dissapointed with the 338 and when I get the 50AM I am sure I won't regret it either .

ANy idea when yours will be done?

I have an antelope hunt in August in New Mexico and am hoping to take the 338 on it.

I have a 30378 wby that is being rebarreled as we speak with a 30" lijia and should be done in june so if not I will take it.

AJ how many rounds do you have down your 338 AM so far?