Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Re: BAT Action owners- question on field use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

Guys,

I have a BAT M action to build a 375 Allen Magnum- but want to hear from BAT owners on their experiences on how the action worked in less than ideal (dusty/wet) conditions? Any issues that required maintenance beyond a thorough cleaning?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Nothing beyond cleaning. I heard of someone galling a bolt on a dirty rifle but I have never had a problem.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

I have that action and have hunted with it for 2 years. My guns are not safe queens, I hunt with them and haul them around A LOT!

I've not had a single problem with my BAT (338 Allen Mag). I do have the spiral fluted bolt, which Kirby told me would help with keeping junk from jamming the bolt in the action.

At night, if it'sdirty, I just take the bolt out and wipe it down. I run a clean bore snake through it. I also run my bolt dry (no oil), because out here in the west, dust is the devil and I've had better luck running things completely dry and keeping an eye on the rust.

Hope this helps, I'll be interested in how your 375AM shoots (I'm sure it will be a tack driver).

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 05-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Thanks AJ, I was hoping to hear back from you. I didn't figure that Kirby would be repeatedly using this action (especially out West) if they were very finicky under hunting conditions. Same goes for the guys at BAT selling them for field duty.

If all goes well, I might have the parts by late summer/early fall. Hopefully, the Wildcat Bullets will be finished up by then. I won't have a problem in allowing Kirby to make this rifle a tester for them.

The downside is I like the repeater version a lot. So I may make a 338AM sibling after this.

After seeing Kirby's results on other projects, I have no doubt of this rifles capability when finished.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrye View Post
Thanks AJ, I was hoping to hear back from you. I didn't figure that Kirby would be repeatedly using this action (especially out West) if they were very finicky under hunting conditions. Same goes for the guys at BAT selling them for field duty.

If all goes well, I might have the parts by late summer/early fall. Hopefully, the Wildcat Bullets will be finished up by then. I won't have a problem in allowing Kirby to make this rifle a tester for them.

The downside is I like the repeater version a lot. So I may make a 338AM sibling after this.

After seeing Kirby's results on other projects, I have no doubt of this rifles capability when finished.
Great,

Where are you located?

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 05-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Silver Member

AJ,

I am in SW PA, either an hour South or East of Pittsburgh depending on work.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Silver Member

AJ,

After seeing your 338AM I ordered one from kirby last sept just like yours the only thing different was the stock color and not by much. Its good to know it holds up to the elements because like you I don't keep my guns in the safe. Anway I cant wait til its ready the barrel is in just waiting on stock and receiver shouldn't be much longer.