Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Re-Barrelling question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Re-Barrelling question

Have any of you guys ever had a Browning A-Bolt 2 re-barreled and what do you think of the Browning actions, are they worth the investment to re-barrel?

I'm thinking of re-barreling in a 6.5X284 NORMA. What you guys think?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Re-Barrelling question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigConrad View Post
I'm thinking of re-barreling in a 6.5X284 NORMA. What you guys think?
What cartridge is your A-bolt barreled for now? What is it's magazine length? What 6.5 mm bullets do you want to shoot?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:13 PM

It's a long action in a 30/06, I beleive I can use the same bolt face, not sure. I will probably shoot 140 grain Burger bullets.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

It's a great rifle. But, as you start customizing, you'll find your choices for smiths, stocks, triggers, bottom metal, magazines, and other parts are much more limitted than Savage, Remington, or even Win 70.

You might consider selling/trading for something that's a more popular build.

Just throwing that out there... It's a nice rifle and it'll get the job done.

-- richard
Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 PM

I just had my browning A-bolt rebarreled. It was a 7 rem mag and it stayed the same. I used a brux #3 contour which is a little heavier that the factory one but it turned out nice. My gunsmith also made a custom recoil lug since the factory one was not true or centered correctly. If it's a stainless model your smith may have a issue with the threads gauling upon removal of the barrel, but he can just rethread to a standard size instead of the metric threads that the brownings have. I love my browning and eventhough they seem to be a little harder to work on I'll never part with it. Also you can get different mags for the brownings if you want to get more room for longer bullets. I'm using a .375 h&h mag magazine for my 7 rem mag with 168 bergers
Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 AM

Thanks, I have Remington and Weatherby rifles that would be easier to rebuild. Me and this Browing has a lot of histery and if I just can't part ways with it.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

In that case, you should be very pleased with a good smith; trigger spring kit from Brownells; and a name brand aftermarket barrel.

Have you found a smith and given much thought to the cartridge, bullet, twist?

-- richard