Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Range report on new 243 LH Tikka T3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

Range report on new 243 LH Tikka T3

I picked up my new .243 LH Tikka SS Lite on Monday from Sportsmanís Warehouse for $579.00. On my way back up Hwy 35 I stopped by SWFA and picked up a New Burris 4.5-14X32 Silver Short Mag scope for $323.00. I used the factory scope rings but Iím not overly impressed with them, time will tell. I mounted the scope last night, gave the gun a good cleaning and headed off to the range this morning.

First impression, Iím not sure if I care for the stock, so again time will tell. The barrel is floated about half down the barrel the channel. I thought the entire barrel was suppose to be free floated but upon further inspection I found that once I took the barreled action out of the stock, I found a couple of molded braces in the barrel channel where the barrel rests. Not sure of the design so I put everything back together and headed to the range.

The action is slick as glass or wet ice on wet ice. Wow is it smooth; Iíve never had a rifle with an action this smooth. The plastic magazine fed smoothly and when loading the first round I could not tell if a round went into the chamber. Heck after 20 rounds I still couldnít tell if it was feeding or not, but it fed every time.

First shot 8Ē low 4Ē inches to the right. I adjusted the Burris scope, it tracked perfectly and the next shot was in the X. Good start. The gun comes with a 1 MOA @ 100 yards guarantee. I pulled my next shot and there was a cease fire on the range so I regrouped and started fresh after the cease fire.

First shot half inch of the X, I pulled the second shot almost an inch left. Next shot just below the first shot. All three shots under an inch which made me feel good. I decided to go for a 5-shot group. Next two shots with half inch of the first shot, both slightly left. Excluding the second shot I had four shots around .83Ē at 100 yards and 5-shots measuring .96Ē. I was shooting 95 grain ballistic tip hand loads that I used on my sonís .243ís. My best 3-shot group was .63 and my worst was the first group. Iíd say itís a .75 moa gun easily.

This new Tikka is light weight rifle and a real shooter and I didnít break my bank buying it. Iím still not sold on those bedding posts in the barrel channel but it doesnít appear to affect accuracy so Iíll leave well enough a lone. Trigger needs a bit of adjusting as itís probably around 4 lbs. This rifle will make an outstanding deer, hog and antelope rifle. Overall and for just over $900 with glass Iím loving this rifle.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Range report on new 243 LH Tikka T3

Glad you like your rifle. I really like my Tikka T3 LH .243's. They are great. I think they are hard to beat for the money. The stock is OK but the bottom line is it works. Are you going to try some lighter loads in your gun. For me the 95 grain worked well.

I think if I did hand loading I could get better groups. For now I am going to leave mine the way it is.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Range report on new 243 LH Tikka T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
Glad you like your rifle. I really like my Tikka T3 LH .243's. They are great. I think they are hard to beat for the money. The stock is OK but the bottom line is it works. Are you going to try some lighter loads in your gun. For me the 95 grain worked well.

I think if I did hand loading I could get better groups. For now I am going to leave mine the way it is.

rtv900,

Thanks for the lead on the Tikka. Yep, I'm going to try a few combinations on bullets and bullet weights. I've done a few searches and I think we're stuck with the stock. There doesn't seem to be any after market stocks for this rifle as of right now.

For the intended purpose of this rifle, I think the entire package will work just fine.

Looking forward to my next trip to the range.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!