Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

(Range report) ABS carbon barrel project Part one.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
(Range report) ABS carbon barrel project Part one.

After more time and money than I care to talk about I have finally aquired my dream rifle. Lets just start with:

Some time ago I had a sweet 300 RUM assembled by a local gun smith. It was a Rem 700 action, Lilja 27.25" 12x Heavy varmint barrel and a McMillan HTG stock. Night force 3.5-15x50 scope with badger rings to boot. In the short time this rifle was set up this way it had harvested a moose @ 650 yards, one dall ram @ 360 yards, a deer @ 338 yards and two just over 500 yards. After these back country hunts I decided the 16# rifle needed to go on a diet. I was hesitent to change it since the first two groups I ever fired from it shot under 1/4" @ 100 yards and was still going strong. Needless to say I took a chance and ordered an ABS barrel. Mike custom contoured it to fit my stock (same as the first barrel) and custom built a titanium brake to my specs. I sent the rifle to George Leichty (lite tac) and he chambered and fitted the barrel to my rifle. When I recieved it in the mail and took it out of the case I imeadiatly noticed something wasnt right. It was several pounds lighter! Oh yeah! It is supposed to be like that. Next I loaded some test loads using 200 ACCUBONDS and 180 TSX bullets. I decided NOT to have a break in session as the barrel life of these calibers is so short as it is and when I cleaned it from George's "proof" firings there was no detectable copper fouling.

Day 1:

So I went to the range with 2 different bullets and 2 different powders. All low charges initially. The first group with the 200's was sub 1" and 2800 FPS. This was the best group for this bullet with the H50BMG powder. I switched to the 180 TSX. Same powder. Velocities around 2900. Best group was just under .75" I gave Avril a good cleaning and shot a couple foul shots through her, let her rest a bit and fired 3 shots with the 200 AB and RL-25 into a .49" group. Now this is promising.

Day 2:

After determining that she like RL-25 and the 200 AB (and knowing how much more powder to load) I cooked up a couple of recipies for the 200 and the 180 ACCUBONDS. I set up the chrony and fired the 200's first. I had loaded several charge weights (ladder test) and shot the first group of 200's into a .486" group @ 3200 FPS with no pressure issues. Wow I thought, this is even more promising. I decided to shoot 3 of the 180's next. Now these babies rock! These shot 3403 (average) and grouped .241" I decided to call it a day and just pull the rest of the bullets. My load development is near complete.

I am going to test a couple other powders looking for slightly better extreeme velocity spreads and base my desicion then. I also have access to a thermal imaging camera at work and will be looking at the barrel to see how well the carbon does or does not dissipate heat.

Oh yeah, she is just over 12# now!

Before:

After:

Some groups. All are 3 shot @ 100 yards. Longer range targets to follow.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: (Range report) ABS carbon barrel project Part one.

Day three:

I am going to scrap the 200 ACCUBONDS as overall they seem to produce marginal accuracy in this barrel. The best groups were around 1/2 inch or less. Several groups were conciderably bigger. It seems as if she really likes the 180 ACCUBOND. I have fired several groups with several powders and ALL groups fired when averaged equals 0.497". Now that is 3 different powders at several different charge weights. Personaly I think I will be hard pressed to beat this bullet, espescially coupled with the fact that I am getting 3350-3400+ with it. I may settle on Retumbo vs RL-25. It seems as if the kernals are a bit bigger and they fill the case up better + I can go about 2 grains more of Retumbo over the RL-25 for the same velocity which fills it near 100%. Retumbo has also yielded the least amount of ES as well (most likely due to less air space.)

More to come in the days to follow.

Regards!

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

Good looking rifle, mike at ABS makes a mean barrel. I tell everyone it well worth the wait, if you can.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 12-03-2008, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

Before you toss the 200 grain AB you might want to double check your results at 500 yards. The BC is strongly in favor or the bigger bullet (.588) and it might settle down past 100 yards and surprise you. My 300Wby only shoots them to a max group of .4 at 100 yards but has shot a best of 3" at 885 yards. That's still good enough for most game vitals I believe.

If the 180AB wins out there are no flies on it either. I love Accubonds.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Fianlly have been able to do some 300 yard work.

So far I have narrowed my powder choices to RETUMBO and H-1000.

So far I am pretty sure I will be settling on the 180 ACCUBOND.

The best group at 300 yards has been 1.374".

The best groups have been fired with RETUMBO at between 3350-3400 FPS. I think that 3400 is a bit on the HOT side. While 3330-3360 seem perfect.

H-1000 though has been VERY concistent. It doesnt matter what charge weight I use ALL the groups are right around the 2" mark. Some smaller some bigger but the worst has been 2.293 and the best was 1.844". The average group at 300 yards has been 2.0935. That is EVERY single group fired at 300 yards with H-1000 from 91 grains to 96.5. Fire formed and unfire formed brass. I cant quite get the high velocities (safely) as I can with RETUMBO but I have got 3300 with no pressure issues with H-1000.

I will be back at the range this week to do some final tests to see which one I will settle on.

All in all I am extreemly happy with this rifle. I want this to be a testimony to George Liechty in Utah at Precision Shooting Sports. He doesnt seem to get a ton of recognition (maybe he doesnt pursue it) but after working this rifle over a bit I see that he has done a phenominal job NOT only in the accuracy and workmanship department but in this rifle's ability to feed and extract flawlessly (even on the occasional HOT load tested) I could never get the kind of reliablility when it came to extracting and overall functioning before I sent it to him. My last smith did a great job of building a VERY accurate rifle but couldnt ever make it feed, function or extract with any reliablity whatsover. The fact that it shoots as good now as the original barrel AND functions perfectly is a dream come true. The action is now also smooth as silk.

A big thanks to you George.

Jeff.