Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

R Bros 7WSM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 AM
SPONSOR

R Bros 7WSM

Thought you guys might be interested in my latest little project. Been trying to complete this rifle for about a year now. I was looking for a lighter rifle than my Long Range Hunter packages and am pretty pleased with the results. Still has plenty of reach and is plenty packable. My brother and I always looked at eachother funny when we would be hiking in elk hunting and hunting the timber with our 30" Edges.

First groups out of the rifle with H1000 and 180 Berger were in the .380" range outside to outside. 180's at 3000fps will be plenty efficient for the needs of this rifle. Chamber is throated to touch the lands and still fit in the magazine.

Here are the specs:

Rogue Receiver
Broughton R Bros Contour, 26" fluted, 1-9 twist
Manners T2 w/90% shell and special fill
Seekins AI Bottom Metal w/Accurate WSM mag
Jewell Trigger
R Bros 20moa Rail w/integrated lug
NF 5.5-22x50 w/UL rings
DE 3 port brake
DE Cheekpiece
Woodland R Bros Camo stock
Matte Black Gunkote metal

Weight ready to hunt: 9.1lbs

Last edited by TMR; 08-14-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: R Bros 7WSM

Is that 9.1lbs with the NF scope on it?
What load is shooting .38" groups?
Was that grouping off a bipod?
How many rounds of 7WSM fit in the magazine?
Do you work up loads for the guns you sell?
thanx
Old 08-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

Very nice rifle thanks for posting
Old 08-14-2011, 09:39 PM
SPONSOR

Mike,

That weight is with the NF, but without the bipod. The group was off a bipod. I always shoot and test builds from the ground prone with a bipod and rear bag. I figure that's how they are going to be used, so that is how I test them as well. Also, I shoot better from a bipod than a bench. I have several "standard" loads for my builds. They work 99% of the time in all my builds. I have only had to tweak them a couple times for a couple builds. Generally they shoot well under 1/2moa. If its a new chambering, then I work up a load for the customer. Load data and a dummy round are sent out with the rifles. I break in and test all builds for accuracy and function before they ship out. No extra charge, just think that is how it should be done. The standard mag holds 4 rounds, and I have another that holds 7.

The loads I have found so far that have shot really well are:

67-69gr H1000 180 berger jumping .005" 2950-3060fps
67gr RL22 162 Amax, .010" jump, 3160fps

Keep in mind to work up to these.....my chamber could be different.

Last edited by TMR; 08-14-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info Travis.
But I'd like specific information on the load. ["What load is shooting .38" groups?"]

You imply .38moa with THE gun pictured above, right?
What is that exact load, for that serial# gun, that a customer could actually buy?

Where I'm going with this actually has little to do with your guns, and they sound nice.
But I think it's important that potential customers actually know what they would get from you, so that they aren't left 'guessing' about how to get performance from your gun after the purchase.
If you also think this is important, then you might recognize an opportunity(in this regard) to one-up nearly every gunbuilder in existence.
BUT
When you say "I break in and test all builds for accuracy and function before they ship out", that doesn't sound like load development, or declaration of specific performance with specific load, for serial# XX gun, that a customer would consider before cutting a check for it. It doesn't sound like you're selling performance, but guns built as well as you can -that usually shoot well.
So far, we could go to anyone for that..
Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Thanks for the info Travis.
But I'd like specific information on the load. ["What load is shooting .38" groups?"]

You imply .38moa with THE gun pictured above, right?
What is that exact load, for that serial# gun, that a customer could actually buy?

Where I'm going with this actually has little to do with your guns, and they sound nice.
But I think it's important that potential customers actually know what they would get from you, so that they aren't left 'guessing' about how to get performance from your gun after the purchase.
If you also think this is important, then you might recognize an opportunity(in this regard) to one-up nearly every gunbuilder in existence.
BUT
When you say "I break in and test all builds for accuracy and function before they ship out", that doesn't sound like load development, or declaration of specific performance with specific load, for serial# XX gun, that a customer would consider before cutting a check for it. It doesn't sound like you're selling performance, but guns built as well as you can -that usually shoot well.
So far, we could go to anyone for that..
Wow - you're a real ball buster! Have you not seen the rifles these guys have built and the results they and their customers have posted? Not sayin' you're wrong, just that R Bros does have an excellent reputation.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Nice stick Travis, keep up the good work..

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"