Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

A Quote from R.LEE ERMEY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Gold Member

Re: A Quote from R.LEE ERMEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
I guess its all about generational perspective, if I had to have one.... 300 wsm all the way.

As for more 30-06 dropped Kodiak bears..... Try 375 h&h. Have seen more than a few guide arsenals and the h&h with irons on a Winchester platform has to account for more lead in bears than anything else. Now in the 50's and 60's did my grandfather use a light 30 cal? well yes, but even then the 375 was preferred.

For the gunny to select a 30-06 stand to reason, he is the perfect generation and background for it. Personally don't have one, probably never will, but to each their own.
+1 300 WSM

or 300 anything mag. Arguably the most versatile caliber,
if I had to have just one...
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Its all about BULLET PLACEMENT ..! And rest assured the men that went after....or came upon...a large Kodiak were MORE than able to hit the ground with their hats!

I happen to see the 3rd largest Kodiak ever killed...( stuffed of course) when a doc from Mariemont Ohio had it mountted and on display at a downtown dept store. Trust me ( or not..I dont care) if I had happened up that SOB...and had an "06" or anything else...it had better have been BELT FED or Id have run the soles off my shoes.

12'..??" standing up ( thats the way he was mounted) and had feet the size of my body!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 PM

The .30-06 is like a Cresent wrench, it does alot of jobs well. But it is by no means the tool for every job. Back to original question in the quote, I'm not sure i want to live in a world where i can only own one rifle.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

I remember reading article that some alskan guide said he would rather have some one shoot his 30-06 great, then some one with a 338 or 375 that ducks when pulls the trigger and he had to finish off the bear. A bad spelling day, Some TIMERS
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM

Guys, Phil Shoemaker who is a Master Guide in Alaska has shot and killed a few bears with the .30-06. If a man only could have one rifle I will have to agree with the Gunny.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Gents,I own and hunt with the .30-06 and .300 wsm and as far as I have noticed the bullet placement and bullet type was the biggie of these two,a short barreled wsm is another .30-06.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

When ya stop and think about it....Old Gunny has probably sent more rounds "down range" than some will ever even see.....so if he says his one gun...is an '06....Id have to lean his way and chose the same...!