Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

quietest muzzle break out there

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 PM

quietest muzzle break out there

I have a 300 Rem. Ultra Mag. I would like to reduce the kick but with out all the noise. I know some breaks are not as effective but then not as loud, that is what I"m looking for. Any recommendations?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: quietest muzzle break out there

I wouldn't recommend using any brake with out hearing protection for hunting or general shooting.

The quietest brake is will cause you grief. You only have two ears and they work best together.

If the noise is keep piece in the neighborhood fabrication of a "box" could be done.

For LR ambush I keep a set of muffs with microphones handy. It helps with shooter-spotter communication.

If its cold I wear them for walk and stalk.

Usually for spot & stalk I use the orange sponge things on the plastic line as my carry gun is a braked 338 RUM.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Vais is supposedly a quieter muzzle brake then Hollands and the like. However if you live in dirt or sand conditions and shoot prone, the holes all the way around VAIS will kick up dirt/sand and give you and your scope/rifle a nice bath every shot. Which woudl get very old real quick...

Muzzle brakes are loud. Theres no way around it. If your going to get one, you might as well get the one that takes the most kick away as thats its primary purpose, which is why you want one. There all loud and your ears wont notice the difference of wahts louder or quieter anyways. They'll all ruin your hearing.

I've shot quite a bit of times with no muffs or plugs from my 25-06 that had a holland style brake, and my 7 RM that has a Holland QD brake. I've also shot my 338 EDGE with DE brake a few times with no hearing protection. Sometimes you just dont have the time to put in muffs. I know I'll regret it later in life, but what can you do?? Cant let them wily coyotes get away and they dont stand there and wait for you to put in hearing protection, thats 99% how and why I shoot my rifles with brakes w/out protection. When I'm hunting I dont wear ear muffs, I like to hear my surroundings. When you shoot at an animal you dont notice it anyways...Untill a couple hours later or the next day LOL.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

The quietest brake is the suppressor...widely used by hunters and riflemen in other countries, but expensive and difficult to get here in the good old USA.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

I'd never used a brake untill a recent build in 7wsm. Curiosity got the best of me one day and decided to fire a round without hearing protection....ooops! :confused:

Old 09-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

I'm a cirtified member of the hold my beer and watch this club, lucky for me I quit drinkin before it kilt me!! Got the scares and that nasty ringing in my ears to prove it:(
25-06 advise is sound and worth paying attention to!! You should ware hearing protection even without the brake on a 300 anything so as long as your gonna brake it do it right. Get one without holes in the bottom, just about any brake will work well with the powder capacity of the ultra's. One other thing worth concidering if you dont shoot it a whole lot is a better reciol pad, a good idea even if you do put on a brake.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter1001 View Post
I have a 300 Rem. Ultra Mag. I would like to reduce the kick but with out all the noise. I know some breaks are not as effective but then not as loud, that is what I"m looking for. Any recommendations?
What you are describing is known as an oxymoron "foolish, afigure of speach in which contradictory ideas or terms are combined" Webster's NWD
UB
you are welcome