Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

quiet shooting w/o silencers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

quiet shooting w/o silencers?

I would like to eventually have a home on a few acres where I can shoot my guns on my property. But if the neighbors are too close they would likely object to my shooting. So I wonder if someone has figured out a way to drastically reduce the noise caused by gunfire without using a silencer. I do not know much about it but an initial idea is to try to shoot through some sort of a muffler. Any ideas? Thanks, Brian.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: quiet shooting w/o silencers?

Here is a link to exactly what you are looking for.

Real Guns

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Find a piece of 24" plastic culvert 6-8" long, use some spray adhesive to stick egg shell foam liner all around the inside. Then roll up some 2"x4" woven garden fencing and insert it inside the tube let it spring out to hold the foam firm, so as it does not blow out during rifle fire. wire the wire in place. See how that works and let us know.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Gold Member

If you buy properly where the neighbors already expect to hear gunfire they're less likely to care if you shoot too. If you choose neighbors who fear or hate guns you won't be able to make your shooting quite enough to keep them happy Bringing change to an existing neighborhood won't make you popular.

My home has line of sight to five nighbors under 1000 yards away., By going to the other side of a hill on my properly my shooting iis barely audible to them and no one cares. . One of my neighbors is about 500 yards from my house and shoots more often than I do. Its quite audible but not annoying to me. No one shoots at night.

Here's a useful site in Finnland which has a lot of information about firearm noise suppression.
In that country there is no stigma against muzzle suppresors and quieting muzzle blast. It's just being a good neighbor.

Gunwriters' Links
Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

what you need is a shed with a built in silencer.
make a range and put the shed at the firing point.
sound proof the shed
cut a hole in the wall to shoot out of
line up old car tires from the wall outwards to act as baffles
cover the tires with old carpet
have a fan set up that sucks air into the shed so the air will go out through the silencer
this will take all the smoke out
works fine with any subsonics