Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Questions & thought's on 6mm for BR and prarrie poodles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Re: Lead Lobber.................

Sorry ackman, I must have missed the "short Range hunting" topics here. You showed me!!! I guess I better go spend more time diggin my 105 amaxes outta trees! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I also think I am gonna go with a 17 rem. Obviously the long range accuracy stick!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Unread 04-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Gold Member
Re: Goodgrouper............

O.K calm down guys,
We all have different standards as to what is ethical and what is not.
When it comes to varmints, I feel it is much more ethical to shoot them and miss every once in a while than to use poison or pump propane and oxygen down their holes and light it off. If you think either(poison or propane) method kills them fast your wrong! The ranch I used to work at never poisoned when I worked their, but a year after I left they started piosoning the praire dogs and left some of the poison oats in the back of the four wheeler in an airplane hanger in the yard.They turned the horses out into the yard, forgetting about the oats that were left on the four wheeler... There was nothing they could do about it after they realized the horses had eaten the oats, all they could do was watch them go down one by one, suffering the whole way(for days( They were working with vets trying to save them).10 of the 15 horses were killed, including a mare and the colt inside her. Two of those horses I had broke and trained (and were the best horses in he my opinion) I HATE POISON!!!! <font color="black"> </font> I have no problem shooting at prairie dogs up to and past 1,000 yards and I will admit past 1,000 yds, I am under 50% but I guess this doesn't bother me.
In just about anything, there are people that will use and abuse, but I don't think this is the case with most the people on this board.

As far as Ackman and Goodgrouper,I can see both sides and respect both of them.

With my 6BR with the 55 gr. bullets I'm above 90% kill at up to 400 yds.with winds under 10 MPH.
without God their is no hope for this country
Unread 04-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Lets steer this guy right huh?

Unless something has changed, benchrest shooters clean religiously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they do after the match. But during the match (in between relays) they only clean down to the wash I talked about. But don't take my word for it, come on out and see for yourself. We will be having a match May 29th at the Hobble Creek gun club in the mouth of Hobble Creek canyon near Springville, Utah. I have friends in this club that will clean until they get just the right amount of pale blue on the patch and then stop cleaning to shoot the relay!

2)Don't know where you get your data. I ran the numbers, this time with a 300yd. zero. At 700, that high BC 105 at 2950 had dropped 14" more at 700 than the 55, and at 1,000 it was still 10" lower. We're talking major trajectory, like 16'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said that the 105 was flatter at 1k. I said that it had more velocity. It does drop just a bit more, but the 105 isn't off by much. It does have more energy, and momentum also.

Of course the VLD was much better in the wind, but to me it's moot because unless something is going fast enough, it'll just punch holes

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I have been trying to tell you all along! THE 105 HAS MORE VELOCITY FROM 650 YARDS OUT!!

He's pulled 105's out of those trees that had gone in only about 1/2way...very little distortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize that trees had the same effect on bullets as P-dogs and chucks do. Boy, where have I been!

I am going chuck hunting with my br tomorrow. I can't wait to show you how stinking little I know about the AMAX bullets when I take pics of the chucks that just got bruised to death. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

4) I'm real impressed you're in all those VHA clubs. I've been a member since very early 90's and never cared about that stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you're only shooting to 600, I can see why. They are not for everyone.

There are whole bunch of guns in my gun room,

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you haven't heard, I have a few myself and was once a follower of your line of thinking. But alas, I have graduated.

7) Go back to the original post. He says 600yds and less, which means 110,195, 240, 410..... And he wants a gun that won't heat up quickly. And he wants something that blows things up more than a .223. He also considers the 22-250 to be just barely enough gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Is there one qualification there that the 6 br can't do? I think not. I believe I haven't wasted my time trying to help the poster pick the BR.

I'm done with this. Ain't gonna debate apples and oranges no more

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah man, I was just getting warmed up. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Let me end then with this. Both my professions that I work very hard at all day every day deal with nothing but educating the general public about firearms and ballistics, and helping them shoot better. I load for them, I teach them, I even take them hunting occasionally. In my job, it is my probably unattainable goal to rid the shooting world of myth, legend, and granpappy Smith's campfire bullcrap. You my friend have different views, and I respect that. But please don't buy into the redneck rhetoric and pass it around as the non-debateable truth. Facts are facts, and I have got plenty of them. And I am always ready to back them up. I gather all possible proof, and have it ready when I get into these friendly arguments. I keep a non-spendable Ulysses S. Grant in my wallet, and I DO PUT IT WHERE MY MOUTH IS! I think over time, I have proven that I know a little about what I am talking about as the Grant is still in my wallet.

Peace, love, and powder for all. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

ps. Sorry 308Nate, I had to get that off my chest.
Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Unread 04-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Gold Member
Re: Questions & thought\'s on 6mm for BR and prarrie poodles.

The BC of 87, 90, 95 grain 243's (6mm cal) would make them acceptable if driven fast enough out of a 28 - 30 inch barrels to be very lethal in the 200 - 500 yards that I normally shoot at.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a super shooter and I've met many people that can shoot a smaller group than me with the same gun. But I do shoot 1000's of rounds a year out at the BR range and a animal doesn't need a tight group. I can decifer what BS and what's not. I have a couple of really nice target guns with 6X24 56 mm scopes and a 5.5X22

My 200 - 500 range is a realistic max for me. When we discussed the day of the 500 round PP shoot last year. We both agreed that we had @90% kill ratio. Some times with the heat waves it's really hard to determine hit's and whether they jumped down a hole. So during cool down times I actually walked out to some questionables. Some were dead right in the mouth of the hole, but you sure couldn't tell when you were shooting or on the spotter scope watching.

My next question is Barrel length. Good Grouper I see that you have a 27.5 inch Dasher. I don't mind using 28-30 8.5 pound barrels. I have two already in .277 and .284. I've also hump lots of mounts over the years packing these near 18 pound guns.
.270 Ackley improved 29 inch 1.250 dia. target barrel 7mm STW 28 inch 1.250 target barrel. I also love my .458 mag for varmints and the biggest game in the world.