Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Questions for S1, brass preparation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: Questions for S1, brass preparation?

S1, maybe this should be another thread, but what do you do with bullets? Anything special with primers?
db
Old 01-06-2003, 07:16 PM

Ohio Hunter and 308

Yes I do make these tools, and so do a few other guys. We were talking about Hoehn a few weeks ago, because someone wanted the tool used in step 5, and he usually stocks them. I do not remember the thread, but will keep looking. If some one can remember please cough up ron's web site.

The tool for step 4 is another matter, I have only made one of these fixtures, and would need quite a few orders to embark on making more. It is cool, and is fast to use, but a pain in the a_s to build. I sort on the body in .0015 increments.

Anything greater than .003 I use for hunting at less than 1,400 yds. and pressure tests with new powders and bullets. Any brass greater than .0015 and less than .003 I use for Ultra long range hunting. The brass that is less than .0015" I reserve for things like DC's money. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Call Ron at (636) 745-8144

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 01-06-2003, 08:49 PM

S1, Here is Ron's site. Sorry I dont know how to post a link.
http://benchrest.com/hoehn/index.html
mabe I do [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: RedMist ]
Old 01-07-2003, 06:38 AM
Bronze Member

S1, since your case body wall thickness checker is a one of: What is your opinion of Neco's gauge for TIR and wall thickness checking?
This information is virtually unobtainable elsewhere.
Learning, Loading and Shooting: 308
Old 01-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

S1,

Few questions:

- If the cases have identical internal case capacity wieghed with water, what does the thickness matter at .5" above the head?

- Is it an accuracy issue or is it one of case life?

- Variation tolerance of .0015" and distance of .5" above head, how do you arrive at these specific figures? Tell us something that supports this being worth while? If you have said somewhere, I missed it. Thanks.

The other steps, I follow you on. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 12:11 AM

Howdy Brent

The case wall thickness issue does not affect pressure in a significant way that I know of. The reason we measure it is because we resize the case, and care about concentricity. Any time you resize with different wall thickness you move the thin side more than the thick side, which allows the case to misalign with the neck, not good.

I don't know if there is a small affect on case life, I have not noticed it if there is.

The wall of a case tapers thinner the closer you get to the neck. We have found that if you measure too close to the bottom you can be fooled, and too high there is not as much variance to measure, thus .500 above the bottom of the inside of the powder column or end of the flash hole works well with Lapua cases.

It is truly an accuracy issue, concentricity affects accuracy, whether or not it is worth it is up to you and your style of shooting. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 12:26 AM

dbhostler

I do several things with bullets when I am working or competing.

Measure the ogive to base and make sure it is within .001"

Inspect the rear of the bullet and cull anything with scratches, dents or other abnormalities.

Cull any bullet with a large meplat or odd overall length.

Mic the O.D. where the major diameter meets the boat tail.

Dynamically spin, and cull anything with an unacceptable CG offset.

This procedure will allow boat tail bullets to group under .140" five shots in a tunnel at 100 yds. in a very good rifle. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The bad news is, I have to carry a mirror with me so I have someone to blame when I miss. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]