Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Questions for S1, brass preparation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2003, 08:11 AM
Bronze Member

Questions for S1, brass preparation?

S1 I've enjoyed your information on this board very much. Hope one day to have a full custom long range rig put together and if I could do it now I would sure lean heavily towards a 30 wolf.
What steps do you take in sorting and preping your brass for the 1/3 moa accuracy you get with your rifles?
I have two semi custom rifles with min spec chambers, not tight necked but tighter than factory. They are a 6mm br with a pacnor 12 twist and a 308 with a schnider 12 twist.
How much will turning case necks help accuracy in these non tight necked rifles, on average? I know individual rifles are a rule unto theirselves.
And finally I have just got 200 Lapua cases for each of these rifles, What steps do I need to take to see the best performence out of this brass.
Sorry for this being so long winded, If you would like to answer me at my email please feel free to: joey308w@yahoo.com Thank you for your time: Joey Sanders aka 308
Old 01-06-2003, 11:43 AM

Re: Questions for S1, brass preparation?

Howdy 308

It is true that each rifle is a unique story, we have great luck with non tightnecked chambers by only sizing 80 percent of the neck, and turning those necks. The comments below apply to Lapua and every other type of brass I have ever seen.

I will list the stuff I do in the order of typical importance, grant me that lots of brass vary in quality on a number of points and your lot may have bad wall thickness consistency, where my lot may have poor depth consistency of primer pockets.

Everything we do to a piece of brass affects at least one of these 3 things: concentricity, consistency, pressure curve.

1) Uniform the DEPTH of the primer pocket.

2) Turn the neck to a consistent wall thickness.

3) Sort by weight and then by volume.

4) Now sort by wall thickness variance on the case body .500" above the head.

5) Ream the flash hole from the outside to the desired diameter, also centering it in the primer pocket.

6) Fire form, trim to uniform length, and double check for weight variance, culling the few oddballs in weight after uniforming their length.

7) Seat bullets with a low mechanical advantage press and cull any rounds that the neck tension does not feel identical.

8) Spin rounds on a runout device to check for body to neck concentricity, and ogive to body concentricity.

308- There are a couple of other important steps I will have to e-mail you.... I won't be able to post them until STL_Shooter comes down from his high horse.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just kidding, that about covers it for us. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 01-06-2003, 11:54 AM
Gold Member

S1
What tool do you use for step 5?
Crow mag
Old 01-06-2003, 04:56 PM

Crow Mag

I will send you one to try, if you want. E-mail me with your address.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:29 PM

S1, do u make this tool or can it be found some were elese?
Old 01-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Bronze Member

S1 Thank you, That is the kind of information I was looking for.

I too am interested in the tool you use for steps 4 and 5. Which tool do you use for step 4 and how much do you allow the body walls to vary. Thanks again, 308
Old 01-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

S1, maybe this should be another thread, but what do you do with bullets? Anything special with primers?
db