Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Questions about Ballistic FTE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 12:34 AM

Re: Questions about Ballistic FTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by groper View Post
So unless the ballistic computer can recognize a multiple velocity bracketed G1 BC system - such as sierra quotes for their bullets as a means of helping this very dilemma- ...
FTE can accept multiple velocity bracketed BC's. It has several stored in its memory and the software author just updated it to accept user define-multiple BC values.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Bronze Member

I thought fte could convert g1's to g7.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeride View Post
I thought fte could convert g1's to g7.

It does convert to G7 if you ask it to. However, I noticed the other day when I did this it took a multiple velocity bracketed G1 BC and converted it to a single G7 BC. This could have been an error on my part. The single G7 BC did put me right on though.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry if it seems like I'm changing the subject, but I've got another question with fte. When I zero the bullet drift from spin, fte also zero's the wind drift. When I physically sight in the rifle at 300yrds the spin drift is zerod. When I run fte and i throw in a 10mph 90deg wind it still shows no drift at my 300yrd zero. If I turn off the drift zero setting everything looks ok, but I know it's not taking into account the spin. Does this make sense to Any one, or do I just sound nuts. Maybe I'm just missing something . Thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeride View Post
Sorry if it seems like I'm changing the subject, but I've got another question with fte. When I zero the bullet drift from spin, fte also zero's the wind drift. When I physically sight in the rifle at 300yrds the spin drift is zerod. When I run fte and i throw in a 10mph 90deg wind it still shows no drift at my 300yrd zero. If I turn off the drift zero setting everything looks ok, but I know it's not taking into account the spin. Does this make sense to Any one, or do I just sound nuts. Maybe I'm just missing something . Thanks
I realized the very same thing last night. I think my work around will be to dial the spin drift in my scope as part of my 300 yard zero and set the drift zero setting to off.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Bronze Member

That works for your 300yrd zero, but if you've got a 750yrd shot and a left to right 5 mph wind and you've got a right hand twist you have a pretty
Big variable on your hands. I think the best thing is to run the fte to find the spin drift with it being zerod, then run fte to find the wind drift not zerod. I wish they'd come out with a up date. What do you guys think?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:37 AM

orangeride your right, what I mean is I will leave the zero setting "off" and just zero my rifle with the spin drift included in the zero for 300 yds.

I don't think you need to run your shot twice through FTE for wind and spin drift, unless you want to know what each is separately.

I've been thinking a lot about the wind direction and I think FTE makes since if one punches in the direction a flag is blowing. So in a headwind the flag is actually flying toward 6:00 and a left to right wind the flag is flying toward 3:00. This convention seems to make the most since and everything comes out right with the FTE.