Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Question for you magneto speed guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

Question for you magneto speed guys

Hello all,
How many of you guys are still using the V-1 models. Do you wish you had the new one, or happy with the one you got.

I have the opportunity to buy a used V-1 from a friend, but had been leaning to the second model. I don't have a can yet, will in the next year or so. Just curious how you are likeing the original.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Question for you magneto speed guys

V 1 is fine for anything but cans and the biggest brakes. I used one on my 338 with a fat bastard brake without issue.
I'm selling mine, too, though. And not for a v2 but rather an acoustic chronograph. Magneto speed is accurate but it affects POI in a big way so you can't shoot for groups or do load development at the same time. The acoustic chrony is just as accurate and the same price.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

My V1 has worked great with my rifles which include a 300WM with a .83" barrel with an Elk Meadow brake, my largest set-up. Plenty of room and perfect readings.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-24-2013, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

Bodywerks,

Hope you have better results than I did with the superchrono.

It is supposed to register from something like 8" from muzzle to any distance you would like. Not the case, most small rifles and even a black powder rifle worked at 2-4 ft but a 7mm/375 had irregular velocities and none were the correct value.

After researching this issue found an update saying the magnums require setting the chronograph quite a distance away from muzzle. With the controls on the unit and display screen almost horizontal it makes usage very difficult on a range with other shooters. I found if I were to step on a chair I could read the display with binoculars but couldn't manipulate the controls till the next ceasefire. Even setting the unit up at 12 ft it didn't register the correct velocities on my magnum rifle.

When I sent it back to Rifles only they were happy to refund my money. I was told they talked to the manufacturer and some units were shipped with a faulty computer "chip".

I liked the concept of a unit that works regardless of lighting conditions. Think I'll purchase the lights for my CED next.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

I still have my V-1. I'm happy with it. Every rig i've put it on so far has had a brake of some sort on it, no trouble.

Someone mentioned the MagnetoSpeed effects POI, it sure does. It does NOT however (in any rifle i've yet to test it on) effect accuracy. If you're running a pencil barreled sporter, maybe. A large contour LR rifle, nope.

YMMV.

t

Old 09-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
Bodywerks,

Hope you have better results than I did with the superchrono.

It is supposed to register from something like 8" from muzzle to any distance you would like. Not the case, most small rifles and even a black powder rifle worked at 2-4 ft but a 7mm/375 had irregular velocities and none were the correct value.

After researching this issue found an update saying the magnums require setting the chronograph quite a distance away from muzzle. With the controls on the unit and display screen almost horizontal it makes usage very difficult on a range with other shooters. I found if I were to step on a chair I could read the display with binoculars but couldn't manipulate the controls till the next ceasefire. Even setting the unit up at 12 ft it didn't register the correct velocities on my magnum rifle.

When I sent it back to Rifles only they were happy to refund my money. I was told they talked to the manufacturer and some units were shipped with a faulty computer "chip".

I liked the concept of a unit that works regardless of lighting conditions. Think I'll purchase the lights for my CED next.
Just for clarity, you are commenting on the Superchono, as opposed to the Magnetospeed, the former being an acoustic chronograph, not a magnetic field design.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt

Last edited by Greyfox; 09-26-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Greyfox.

I am aware this thread is about the magnetospeed chrono. Sure I got off the theme of the thread. Was commenting to Bodywerks about his desire to buy a SuperChrono.

Bodywerks made a comment in his last thread that he is selling his V-1 magnetospeed: "I'm selling mine, too, though. And not for a v2 but rather an acoustic chronograph".

I want to get a magnetospeed and have been following this thread for that very reason.

Ross