Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Question for you gunsmiths , new bolt or modify old one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: Question for you gunsmiths , new bolt or modify old one

Brent,
The problem with that is most Remmy's are bigger than .705 and that reamer won't touch a thing.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Chris,

I replied to this over on the thread I started about bolt bore reaming.

I have yet to be able to fit a .705 bushing through either the front or rear receiver ring on an action, yet, but I agree if it did fit through then one would need a larger reamer.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Brent and Chris,

I to have jet to see a 705 reamer pass through a Rem 700 receiver but I fully realize Chris has reamed more receivers then I have so I will submit to his experience on this one.

Until I get one that is larger then 705 I will not worry about it!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

OK guys how bout this one what if you get a bolt with an OD of .710 , would that help anything at all one fella once told be it would make for a stonger bolt but the way i see it is that it'll only make your lugs smaller and that is what take all the stress right so in effect the larger bolt would be weaker?
Just a thought cause I have noticed that Wby's have massive bolts but they have those pesky nine little lugs
Old 05-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

Your right about the Weatherby...
Alot of customs use a fat bolt design especially with three lugs, which I feel is about the best design, but that is just opinion.

The bolt itself is really just a way to hold the firing pin, with the lugs taking all of the stress as you mentioned. So bolt diameter really doesn't matter, in theory. Bolt fit/size is a factor in action smoothness and how tight-consistent the gun locks into battery each time.

Here's a thought, if I were to do it- I would have it normal fit up front to provide tolerance for dirt, etc from being in the field but have the back of the bolt tapered or sleeved to lock up tight just as the bolt hit the camming engagements and locked up.....that way it would be supported up front, from dead nut's on headspace and contact on the lugs and then supported in back, especially to prevent upward deflection caused by Remington's angled cocking piece to sear engagement.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Well this gun is going to see duty as a police weapon as well as my personal paper puncher so reliability is a major factor.
How much differance in accuracy does having the bolt sleeved make? say you have a gun that'll shoot into the 1/2" mark consistantly what would having the bolt sleeved do for it accuracy wise?
This isin't gonna be a long range rig , I may take it out to 500yds on paper but no way in hell is it ever gonna be used on people flesh over 200yds probably not over 100yds hopefully never for that matter!!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

JDJones,

Bolt sleeving is like deburring the flashhole on your match ammo. It is just one aspect of a large collection of things that will make up a fine shooting rifle or ammo.

In and of itself you will see very little difference with bolt sleeving. When used on a fully and properly accurized receiver, again you will see no dramatic improvement but it will increase your consistancy from shot to shot. If you will see the difference is very difficult to say.

If you have a sporter rifle used for big game hunting you will probably not see any advantage with a sleeved bolt because of the way the rifle is used and the variables in how the rifle is shot and built and its shootability.

In a heavy rifle you may see a difference but again, remember this is just another step in trying to get a factory action to perform like a custom BR action.

To be honest, I have built many non sleeved Rem 700 bolt guns that held groups in the .1's and .2"s. My sleeved bolt rifles are in this same area of consistancy.

On the Wby issue. If you measure a Wby MkV bolt nose diameter is will be 0.715" to 0.720" on average in diameter. The Rem 700 bolt nose will generally be 0.698" to 0.702" in diameter, there just is not that much differenance even though the Wby bolt body is much larger in diameter this has no effect on bolt strength.

Also, a preperly accurized Rem 700 with its 2 large bolt lugs has nearly identically the same baring and shear surface as the Wby bolt with its 9 locking lugs, especially when you realize that 3 of those nine lugs are dramatically smaller then the other 6 because of the extractor position.

I would not get a .710" bolt if it were my personally. First off, the smith would have to get a reaming mandrel for that very large bolt diameter and I would bet there are not many out there that have one. This will generally mean that you will pay for alot of the reamer charge.

There is no real benefit going to this large bolt diameter anyway. Measure your receiver bolt way and see what diameter it is. I would bet it is not over .705".

If it is then worry about the exotic bolt sizes but until them save your money.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com