Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Question for you gunsmiths , new bolt or modify old one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Question for you gunsmiths , new bolt or modify old one

I'm in the process of getting all my goodies together for a new rifle build and wanted your imput on what to do with the bolt as I'll probably have one of you guys do the work , hopefully
The action is a Rem 700 short action with the small .378" bolt face I want to build a 308 so the bolt is gonna have to be opened (cost factor #1) I also want the gun to be as accurate as possible so having the bolt or action sleeved is probably gonna be done (cost factor #2). I'm wondering if I'd be better off just ordering an oversized bolt from PTG , their cost is $125. Would it be any more accurate or easier to work with either way?
Also what is everbodies opponion on haveing the Sako style extractor instaled , I'd heard of them blowing off with hot loads , is this from not being properly put together ?

Thanks in advance for everbodies imput
Old 04-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Question for you gunsmiths , new bolt or modify old one

Also what is everbodies opponion on haveing the Sako style extractor instaled , I'd heard of them blowing off with hot loads , is this from not being properly put together ?

Thanks in advance for everbodies imput

[/ QUOTE ] No, even on SAKO rifles there is a cure for this problem. It just takes a modifcation from what SAKO does. Any of the great gun smiths on this sight can help. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2005, 05:21 PM
Gold Member

JD,
My recommendation would be to definately go with PTG bolt.
there would be no more work involved and less dollars..you could sell your bolt to cover 2/3 the price of the PTG bolt and I feel you would be happier in the long run.
FWIW,
308nate
Old 04-30-2005, 07:36 PM

you could buy a bolt from dave kiff and get the bolt face that you want, also you can have him make your bolt o.d 0.70470 that way you dont need to have your bolt sleeved just have the action opened up to 0.705 that would save you $150.00 and you have your old bolt you could sell. www.parrysgunsmithing.com
Old 04-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

JDJones,

In my opinion, having the receiver accurized properly is more important then the bolt you use. That said, a properly fitted bolt or sleeved bolt will offer advantages over the factory bolt fit. Mainly in bolt body vibration and trigger pull consistancy.

A double sleeved bolt will run $150, about the same as the replacement bolt so its a wash really either way in my opinion. Pick a way and go for it, you will get the same results either way for basically the same money.

I have used Sako extractors for a long time and have yet to see or hear about one of my extractors coming out of the bolt. In fact I find this hard to believe unless there is a primer failure or case head seperation. Either of which would mean excessive pressure or using brass that is poor quality which is the shooters responsibility to use quality brass.

That said, I have switched over to an M-16 style pinned in extractor simply because they have a much larger gripping area then the Sakos and in my opinion work and look better as far as extracting goes.

Little harder to machine the bolt but a better system in my opinion.

FOr a rifle that simply can not malfunction, these are the only way to go in my opinion.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-01-2005, 02:59 AM
Gold Member

I agree on the pinned M16 extractor. Its the better of the two(sako-M16) but both are better than the standard remmy unit.
I would buy a replacement bolt and sell the original on ebay, you'll definately make most of the money back.
Pete
Old 05-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

I'd do just as Kregg suggested, but you will have to send it to someone with the .705 reamer/mandrel for the reaming.

Kregg, Kirby... I have a question for you guys I'll post in the GD forum about the bolt bore reaming.