Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Question for the gunsmiths--H-S Precision barrels, Jarret barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Question for the gunsmiths--H-S Precision barrels, Jarret barrels

I was just wondering if any of you guys who build rifles have considered, if even available, using the cut-rifled H-S Precision barrels or Kenny Jarret barrels. If I recall, H-S Precision has a 1/2" guarantee with their rifles.

I'd also like opinions on their actions.

Will Kenny Jarret sell his barrels? I suppose this question may be premature since I have not investigated it.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

I wasen't aware that Kenny Jarret made his own barrels , from the work I've seen on his guns and the cost I woulden't buy one!!

As for the HS barrels , I've never delt with them other than on one of their tactical rifles , it shot well diden't seem to foul that bad but in either case their was nothing to jump up and down about.

On another note , I have never been aware of either one of these barrels on anybodys (who was in the upper rankings in BR or F-class) equiptment list.

With so many other great proven options out their I woulden't bother.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
I was just wondering if any of you guys who build rifles have considered, if even available, using the cut-rifled H-S Precision barrels or Kenny Jarret barrels. If I recall, H-S Precision has a 1/2" guarantee with their rifles.

I'd also like opinions on their actions.

Will Kenny Jarret sell his barrels? I suppose this question may be premature since I have not investigated it.
HS makes a lot of testing barrels. On the other topic, we are all trying to put bullets into the same hole. You don't need to spend over say approx 2500 ($1100-1300 action, $600 barrel w/chamber and /crown, $600 for stock and bedding, $150 for rings and bases) using the best custom components (minus trigger and scope) to get the job done.

In reality, what you are seeking is a good custom action, a barrel installation on the custom action, and bedding of your custom barrelled action into your preference of a stock. Not any secrets or rocket science. Just a good chambering job with everything else square, flat, concentric and proper contact of mating components and the rest is up to the shooter.

Good shooting.

James
Old 07-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Bronze Member

If you want a cut rifled barrel the brands to get are Kreiger, RockCreek or Bartlein. In button rifled Broughton, Hart, PacNor etc. I don't believe Jarrett sells his barrels. Eaxpect 12wk delivery from all as they are in great demand by long tange target shooters and the tactical crowd.
Randy
Old 07-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ338 View Post
If you want a cut rifled barrel the brands to get are Kreiger, RockCreek or Bartlein. In button rifled Broughton, Hart, PacNor etc. I don't believe Jarrett sells his barrels. Eaxpect 12wk delivery from all as they are in great demand by long tange target shooters and the tactical crowd.
Randy
Don't forget Rock and K&P barrels. Both of those are cut as well.\

James
Old 07-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Silver Member

I was told that K&P was making HS barrels. Other than that the only barrels he makes are for the big stuff(408,50 and such). I owned a k&p on a 260 remmy, I wasnt that impressed. I wasnt as easy as to clean as some and didnt shoot extreamly well. But I didnt do the chamber job on it. I did however rebarrel that action in 7RUM and it shot! It is bartlein for me all the way. No break in needed. NO fowling. I got 350 rounds on the 7RUM before I cleaned it. It was about as dirty as a factory tube after 20 rounds. But Schneider and Rock are close too.

Jason