Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Question for Cooper owners?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Question for Cooper owners?

Why sweat all the abstracts?
Find a good load and enjoy your Cooper
Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Bronze Member

These rifles are not exactly cheap. They should not only shoot but also should be technically correct. If I wanted to shoot at extreme range I've already lost 10 MOA of adjustment from my scope because something is out of whack. I waited over 14 months for the rifle to arrive. With that much time I and money spent I do not think it's asking to much for the product to be correct.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:50 PM

I understand you are upset but it is a gun. I use to sell a lot of coopers and even good companies make an error every now and then. Cooper stands behind there guns. Box it up and send it back to them if you think there is a problem. It will at give you some peace. They do make a good product.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 AM
Bronze Member

That's what I'm going to do. Like you said, if nothing else for peace of mind. I'm not so much upset as disappointed after waiting over a year for the rifle.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Cooper fired the gun before sending it out. They know there is no issue on their end.
There are so many things that can make ANY gun seem to shoot bad -that are not caused by the gun.

At most, I'd give them a heads up about your results so far, and get consensus that you'll actually isolate the problem to the gun before sending it back.
Until this is done your scope could be bad, it's mounting, your ammo, your cleaning, your rest/bags/hold, etc.

There was a 3-4 rifle test in a gun rag years ago where they through a Speedy Gonzalas benchrest gun into the mix. Shocking to many, and very discrediting to the testing was that Speedy's gun shot worst among off the shelf factory guns -with factory ammo.
But this was simply a matter of taking a gun out of it's element, and ALL guns can be made to shoot poorly when this is done.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Cooper fired the gun before sending it out. They know there is no issue on their end.
There are so many things that can make ANY gun seem to shoot bad -that are not caused by the gun.

At most, I'd give them a heads up about your results so far, and get consensus that you'll actually isolate the problem to the gun before sending it back.
Until this is done your scope could be bad, it's mounting, your ammo, your cleaning, your rest/bags/hold, etc.

There was a 3-4 rifle test in a gun rag years ago where they through a Speedy Gonzalas benchrest gun into the mix. Shocking to many, and very discrediting to the testing was that Speedy's gun shot worst among off the shelf factory guns -with factory ammo.
But this was simply a matter of taking a gun out of it's element, and ALL guns can be made to shoot poorly when this is done.
We eliminated the scope and the mounts and yes I did contact Cooper. They think it might and I quote "might" be a barrel run out issue. This is because of the problem with things being so out of whack while bore sighting. The only way to be sure is have them have a look so that's what I did. There were a few other minor issues as well.