Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Question for any Smith’s on custom build up.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Question for any Smith’s on custom build up.

I will be replacing the BBL on my Rem 700 lss 7mm mag soon. I would like to get the action trued and fitted with a good custom fluted Barrel I was thinking Lilja or Pac-nor. I would like some recommendations on barrels, contours, and fluting because a have no experience with the customs. Also need some trigger options. This will be a medium range mountain hunting rig so I want to keep the weight down. I like thumbhole stocks so I’m thinking H-S Precision, the McMillan’s are nice but I don’t think they offer a thumbhole. I want to rechamber in 338 win mag. I also have a badger bolt knob I would like installed and possibly a muzzle brake with a thread protector. I would like a round about price on what this type of build will cost parts and labor. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Question for any Smith’s on custom build up.

Tommy, where do you live?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

PA Just outside of Philly
Old 06-29-2005, 08:41 PM
daveosok

1. What is medium range?
2. What weight bullets are you intended to shoot, this will necessitate what twist barrel you will need?
3. What do you want the length of the barrel to be?
4. What are you willing to accept for weight of rifle?
5. What weight of pull for the trigger, this will either mean keeping the factory trigger or upgrading.

Accurizing an action should run between 100 to 300 depending on smith used.

Without knowing the barrel weight your willing to accept a barrel can run between 240 to 280, with fluting add another 100 to 150.
Custom triggers can run between $80 to $220 or around $30 or so to tune a factory trigger.
The rifle stocks I am not sure of the pricing and someone else will no doubt give you better prices but you get the idea that this project can run $600 to $1000. I am thinking that the HS thumbhole will run between $220 and $330 and thats a rough estimate.
It aint cheap but what you will get is 100 times better than a factory rifle and will perform moa or better accuracy.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Range 400 max but more like 200, 250
Bullet weight 185 to 250 1 in 10 twist I guess.
BBL lenght 24' or 26' if I go with a brake I will prob go with 24
7 1/2lb scoped would be nice.
The factory rem trigger is set to 3 1/4lb now
Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Tommy B,

I would recommend a 24" #5 Lilja stainless fluted with Dans heavy 50 BMG style flutes.

McMillan does offer a thumbhole, it is the Lazzeroni model which can be inletted for a Rem 700 easily, not a problem.

I did not realize H-S offered a thumbhole in a sporter stock. If its their tactical thumbhole this stock is not light. In fact the Boyds Laminate thumbhole sporter is lighter then this stock and once it is pillar bedded and the barrel floated extremely stable as well.

That along with a fully accurized Rem 700 receiver and the addition of an aftermarket match grade recoil lug, I use Holland or Badger Ord recoil lugs, you would have a very stable, light weight rifle.

The Rem factory triggers can generally be tuned down to 2.5 to 2 3/4 lbs with consistancy and total safety. If you want lighter then that which I do not recommend on a light weight big game rifle, I would go with an aftermarket trigger.

I would recommend a Holland QD muzzle brake as well as these are the most efficent brakes I have used that are designed for the needs of a big game hunter.

If your interested in my prices for such work drop me an e-mail at kballen@3rivers.net

Generally my customers tell me what they want in the rifle and I order all the componants so they do not have to deal with that aspect of the adventure as it can be a bit intimidating for someone not used to ordering componants.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

mailing it will be less than paying pa sales tax.mine is on its way back from him.drop him a e-mail,you won't be disappointed! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]