Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Question about Remington 700 barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 04:55 PM

Question about Remington 700 barrel

I have a Remington 700 XCR ii chambered in .270. If i were to buy this barrel would this barrel fire the 300 win mag or 30-06 cartridge fine? If i would bring it to a gunsmith would he be able to modify my bolt and action to #1 use the 5R 20in barrel and #2 fire a 300 win mag or 30-06 cartridge with my .270 action and bolt?

Sorry if this is a noob question. Im really into gun but im not educated in changing out 700 barrels or changing calibers.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: Question about Remington 700 barrel

If your going to go through with a re-barrel buy a new quality blank and do it the best you can. Re-chambering that barrel will cost you about the same as doing it from a blank and you'll end up with a better product with a Krieger, Brux, Bartlein, etc. The new blank is about 100.00 more than that one and you can pick the contour, length, and twist. Yes your action can be used for a 30-06 with no modifications but will require bolt face and follower/feed rail work to be used as a .300wm.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
If your going to go through with a re-barrel buy a new quality blank and do it the best you can. Re-chambering that barrel will cost you about the same as doing it from a blank and you'll end up with a better product with a Krieger, Brux, Bartlein, etc. The new blank is about 100.00 more than that one and you can pick the contour, length, and twist. Yes your action can be used for a 30-06 with no modifications but will require bolt face and follower/feed rail work to be used as a .300wm.
So if i were to buy a Krieger barrel in 30-06 and have it installed on my .270 action the action bolt would work with no modification? But if i were to buy a 300 win mag barrel i would have slightly modify the bolt?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Gold Member

Both the 30-06 and .300wm would have to be chambered. The barrel will come as a blank that can be made into any .30 caliber cartridge. The barrel you posted a link to is a .308 Win. so it would have to be re-chambered into a 30-06 or .300wm as well. To a gunsmith it would be nearly as much work as starting from scratch on a blank.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I'm not 100% sure what your asking but, no a standard long action will not work on 300 Win Mag without modifications, you would have to open the bolt face and install a sako extractor, check the feed rails and change the follower. 30-06 is a standard long action cartridge and will work fine your action. My opinion is it is always better to buy custom barrels if possible because I charge the same to cut off a rechamber a takeoff barrel as I do a new barrel and the odds are in your favor that the custom barrel is going to shot better and you can pick your twist rate and contour.
Good Luck

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com