Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

question about McMillan A5 stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Bronze Member

question about McMillan A5 stock?

How do you like the cut out in the bottom of the butt stock? Is that only helpful if you are shooting prone with bi pod? Does it hurt the stocks performance while shooting from the bench with a rear bunny ear bag? (as far as the gun slipping off the flat spot and riding funny on the cut out?) I hope that made sense [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] A lot of my shooting will be from the bench and I'd had to be fighting that butt hook all the time. Your thoughts? thanks-Duff
Old 02-04-2005, 12:57 PM

Re: question about McMillan A5 stock?

ever look at the A3?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: question about McMillan A5 stock?

...you probably already know this, but McMillan specifically "advertises" that the A5 buttstock will ride the rear bag without any problems...I don't have one, but like the looks of them...but you're wise to wait to hear from someone firsthand before committing... good shooting...
Old 02-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Bronze Member

Ric Horst.......

Yes, I have seen the A3, but I think the A5 looks pretty darn slick and was hoping someone that owns one could tell me if the hook buttstock provides any problems riding the bags. I may end up with an A3 type buttstock, but I'd like to try the A5 if it isn't a problem shooting from the bench when using a rear bunny ear bag. thanks-Duff
Old 02-04-2005, 05:03 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Ric Horst.......

I have no problem with that feature of my A-5 stock.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ric Horst.......

I have the A2 and an A5, A5 is far superior. A2 is simply a heavier A3. I would suggest the A5, particularly for prone. The cutout is the slickest idea for controlling the rifle - you have to try it to appreciate what it allows you to do. McMillan put it there for a good reason, plus it rides the bags perfectly.
I believe the A5 is the best stock made for prone hunting, long range shooting.