Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Question about building on a Interarms Mark X action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2004, 08:23 AM

Question about building on a Interarms Mark X action

I picked one of these up at the local pawn shop for next to nothing , I was thinking about building on it but had some questions first.
does this action use the same componets as the M98 Mauser , like the trigger and stock
and can it be fitted with a prefit barrel made for the M98?
Old 12-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Gold Member

Re: Question about building on a Interarms Mark X action

I have several rifles built on the '98 actions and the Mark X is really similar. You should have no trouble fitting a barrel or after market trigger on the Mark X.You may want to specify what you have to your barrel maker. I have a 300/338 RUM on a Mark X action and it shoots great!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Have you had any success with your build? I'm also considering using my Mark X as a custom build project but don't know where to start. I'm going to keep it in 30-06 and will probably start with the barrel. Unfortunately, I don't know of a good armorer in my local area so any work will have to be shipped out. Do you have any recommendations?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

The Mark X is a large ring mauser just like the 98 mauser is a large ring. Any prefit barrel intended for a large ring mauser will fit either the 98 or the Mark X. If you have trouble finding the chambering, barrel profile, and twist that you are looking for in a prefit barrel, you can simply purchase a contoured blank with the desired features and have it threaded and chambered. Final cost will be about the same.

In terms of parts compatibility, there are some differences between a Mark X and a 98 mauser, though most parts manufacturers will not make a distinction. The Mark X uses different scope mounts, uses a trigger with a side safety, and has different bottom metal. The different bottom metal will mainly have an effect on stock inletting. For instance, the B&C Medalist stocks with aluminum bedding blocks are inletted for commercial bottom metal. The Boyd's laminated stocks are inletted for military bottom metal.

In comparison to a military surplus action, the Mark X's need very little gunsmithing work done to them. Send the action to a smith of your choice, have the bolt locking lugs lapped, the bolt face and receiver trued, barrel installed and headspaced, and the desired finish applied. When you receive the barreled action, drop it in a stock (glass bed, if desired), mount your scope and go shooting.

For barrel and action work, I recommend Mark Skaggs. Here is a link to his website:

Skaggs Gunsmithing

If you follow the above prescription, you will end up with a good, solid, working rifle at reasonable cost. If you desire a full custom, that is a different ball game.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

I had a 375 H and H Interarms Mark X given to me. Decided to build a heavy LR rifle after seeing how long the magazine was. First barrel (shown in pic) was a #7 Lilja SS chamber for 7 rem mag.
Stock trigger was reworked to just under 1 lb. The stock is made by Joel Russo.

McMillan makes a nice sporter stock for Mark Xs.

Near Mfg makes a picatinny rail Near Manufacturing - Rifle Scope Bases

As a 7 Rem mag it shot 180 VLDs wonderfully. Lots of seating depth room with this package. Unfortunately the twist was too fast at 1 in 7 and at round count 225 or so it ate both hunting and target VLDs. The barrel is being rebored to .338. Soon I will be recieving the new chambered barrel. The new package will be using a long throated .338 RCM set up for shooting 300 gr bullets. Testing with a short barreled package has be knowing that the 29" barrel will achieve 2600-2650 fps.

Enjoy building your new rifle.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

the one and only drawback i have with my interarms 7mm rem mag is the magazine doesnt allow you to seat the bullets out very far. my lands are at 3.496 and my magazine is only 3.410. i am still in the process of finding my sweet spot for bullet jump but do not want to barney fife it.