Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Question about barometric pressure vs altitude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Gold Member

Question about barometric pressure vs altitude

When I use Shooter and enter actual barometric pressure or enter the altitude I get two different sets of dope. At 1000 yards I am just under 4, MOA off. When I use the engineeringtoolbox.com and the altitude / barometric pressure chart I use 10000 feet or 20.6 barometric pressure. I can give exact ballistic specifications but at this time I do not feel it is relevant. It is more a difference of getting one read out using barometric pressure and the other read out using exact altitude.

Alan
Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Gold Member

Re: Question about barometric pressure vs altitude

I was having the same trouble with mine, but I needed to set the program to "absolute" pressure and then my dial ups were spot on. Absolute pressure from what I've read is more accurate then entering elevation because the elevation feature just uses an average pressure reading for that height.

See if this fixes your problem.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Gold Member

I know what you mean. When I use absolute pressure my come ups are dead on. I was just wondering what was up with the altitude come ups being so far off.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Gold Member

When you tried to use the elevation feature did you also have the pressure section populated? If you want to use the elevation try and leave the pressure input blank and see what it does.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Gold Member

Shooter will not allow both fields to be populated. Its one or the other but not both.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Griffith View Post
Shooter will not allow both fields to be populated. Its one or the other but not both.
If you turn off absolute pressure it will allow both fields to be populated (if I remember correctly). I just know that I was sick of trying to figure out the elevation feature when the absolute station pressure gave me perfect results every time.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

I guess you missed the sticky here:
Altitude vs. Barometric pressure

Altitude, including pressure altitude, density altitude, etc, are not external ballistic parameters.
For local air density you need:
-Absolute pressure
-Temperature
-Relative humidity

For your bullet BC input you need to select the atmosphere standard that qualifies your rated BC(like StdMetro, ICAO) as a baseline. These terms are again:
-Absolute pressure
-Temperature
-Relative humidity

Much of the other stuff people come up with amounts to misunderstanding of these things.