Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Quest for g7 ballistics programs (can we please make a list)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Quest for g7 ballistics programs (can we please make a list)

I recently wrote Gerald Perry about his as well and he seemed a bit neutral about incorporating G7 capability into Exbal. Would it really be that difficult to program the software to do both drag functions? I don't know squat about programming, but on the surface, it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to allow a portably program to do both. Somebody set me straight...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

That's exciting news! Thanks for sharing w/ us Dick. Keep us posted also( as much as your allowed).
Old 08-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

I have always had good luck getting standard/stock type questions answered by Mr. Perry and he's always been helpful but never indicated any interest in changing or adding any features.

Gus on the other hand, is always looking for ways to improve LoadBase and is more than willing to listen to any ideas that any users may have. We are going to be benefiting by his interest very soon as he's going to be making some super changes to both Desktop and Mobile versions of LoadBase.

I've heard some say that LoadBase is just "too much" and similar statements but the nice thing is that you don't have to use all of the features. I'd personally rather have a LOT more features and tend to use all of them but then I lean that direction on most stuff anyway.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
So Lou, how would any bullet maker define their bullet, if not with BC?

Sounds like your suggesting that someday we should download drag curves for each bullet instead of accepting a single relative BC. But that data will never be available.
So adjustments to drag curve will still require a single reference in one form or the other.

Might as well be BC
G1 BC
G7 BC
Or LouBoyd BC, if your's is right
I'm certainly not proposing a "LouBoyd BC". You say "that data will never be avaialble." Why not? There's under 100 kilobytes of information for a complete drag table from 0 to 4000 fps in 1 fps increments . That's about like a single still photo on the web. A lot less is needed to be much closer to reality than any single number BC can possibly be. The data would not be practical to publish on paper but it would be easy to download the files from a manufacturers website. I don't expect every manufacturer would buy the equipment to do the tests, but only a few test locations (maybe only one) is all tthat would be needed.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Bronze Member

I also got an E mail from Gus stating the same thing about the G7 being added. The only thing now? Would the up grade be included with the program all ready offered. I'm going to get a program soon. I still need to finish "re"reading Bryan's book. And playing more with the program that came with it. trying to making my self more knowledgeable, before jumping in. Load base is on my short list.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7mm View Post

I've heard some say that LoadBase is just "too much" and similar statements but the nice thing is that you don't have to use all of the features.
LB3 is as easy as you want it. You're not forced to use everything it offers. If you want to use published BCs and just put in condition (similar to Exbal) than you can. You can also take advantage of it's offerings and Cut out every potential/possible margin of error but yourself.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7mm View Post
I have always had good luck getting standard/stock type questions answered by Mr. Perry and he's always been helpful but never indicated any interest in changing or adding any features.

Gus on the other hand, is always looking for ways to improve LoadBase and is more than willing to listen to any ideas that any users may have. We are going to be benefiting by his interest very soon as he's going to be making some super changes to both Desktop and Mobile versions of LoadBase.

I've heard some say that LoadBase is just "too much" and similar statements but the nice thing is that you don't have to use all of the features. I'd personally rather have a LOT more features and tend to use all of them but then I lean that direction on most stuff anyway.

Yes, for these reasons, I'm considering a move to LB, even though I've invested in both the PC and PPC versions of Exbal and upgraded to new version.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl