Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Psssst - want to know a secret...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Psssst - want to know a secret...

There is a new hunting bullet coming out - so new it does not even have a name yet... I will be shooting it shortly - will keep you guys informed. Who makes it - not sure about that yet but I am told it is a dandy. Supposed to get some in my .30 cal. cartridges soon. So many bullets, not enough time.

Also working with Federal factory loads with Barnes Triple Shocks - they are just plain deadly. 168 Triple Shocks are shooting as well as our Matchking/Comp. Supreme/A-MAX loads - carry flat like a match bullet. Also shooting the Fusion from Federal and the Core-Lokt Ultra from Remington - they are both superb hunting bullets and amazingly accurate - some of the best shooting factory ammo I have used.

The Rems are shooting as well as Accubonds and Interbonds in some of our rifles - retained weight as good as the others too. Fusions have been very accurate in one rifle so far, just getting to them. Retained weight on clay at 100 yards was similar to the bonded bullets. Fusions and Ultras are not long range bullets as in high B.C.'s but they are worth considering for shorter range hunts.

Also have most of the Black Hills Gold calibers to shoot for an article assignment - BHA ammo is as good as it gets. I have a problem with Black Hills Gold ammo, I also like shooting critters with the Black Hills Match ammo - which is better? That is a good question...
Old 09-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Psssst - want to know a secret...

I've heard a rumor A-Square is going to start making ammo again, I wonder if that's it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

It isn't coming from American Fork, Utah is it? Hee,hee, maybe there are two secrets! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Grouper,
I heard a bit about that one too - these are interesting times!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

American Fork, UT, huh? I too have heard of said "proposed" bullet. I will be interested to see when it actually gets released.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Ben,
How in heck they are getting a GPS module and video camera into those .30 cal. hollow-point boat-tails is beyond me, plus a supply of salt so the critter stays fresh while we hike over to start gutting...
Old 09-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

I just can't figure out how they could make those gyroscopes so small and the stabilizer fins to pop out at such extreme speeds. I heard talk that the prototype had a wire attached to it much like a TOW missile, but tests were abandoned due to the wires snapping off right out of the muzzle. I think it's funny that they were trying to stick a FLIR and terrain following guidance radar in there too, so that it could skim the ground, and then pop up for an overhead attack on those unsuspecting critters.