Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Pseudo sort of long range practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Pseudo sort of long range practice

I had an epiphany... which just means that I finally got around to thinking about something everyone else thought of 20 years ago

I have a Ruger 10/22 with the bull barrel, gee whiz everything adjust pistol grip stock... I upgraded the trigger (very sweet trigger), and manged to let it fall over and destroy the uber el-cheapo scope that came with it. I just put a set of Leupold Mark IV rings on it just to see if they would work (I bought the wrong height and I like 1" scopes on my .22's). That's when I thought "hey... I wonder if I can practice shooting this thing at 200-300 yards and gain anything from it. I already shoot sub-moa with my .308 and 7mm mag. 7mm mag out to 600 yards and .308 at 300 yards (so far). But if I could practice with my 10/22 out to 300 yards and get anything from it that would be sweet as hell. I can do that right out of my back door. I've got the room and a .22 won't bother my neighbors that live a 1/2 mile behind me and to my north like a 7 mag with a compensator would (that sucker is loud). Not to mention it's cheap.

So what if-

(1) I put one of my good 1" tube scopes on my little Ruger
(2) shot some of the ammo through a chrony to get velocity data.
(3) measured bullet drop and plugged all of the pertinent data into LB3.0 and let LB3.0 do the calcs for me.

Wind would be interesting... that's for sure.

Any thoughts? Is 300 pushing it for a target .22 with a good scope? 200?

I also have an older bolt action Reminton .22LR that shoots pretty well at 100 yards. That might be a better platform than a semi-auto

Last edited by Mike6158; 01-06-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Pseudo sort of long range practice

Great thought Mike6158,

I like you discovered this thought well after everyone else. I did my research and work with my Marlin M# 60. I could only get about 1.25 MOA out of her though (that is 1.25 MOA or better 95% of the time, 0.75 MOA 50% of the time). Well, that is still pretty good for a $100 gun, with Wolf Match Target ammo. I did all kinds of research and read, and read. I came to the understanding through experience (I don't always take some else’s word for it) and study, that I was expecting a lot from my little rig. It is possible to do what you’re wanting, but takes a lot of time and testing to insure your rig is capable of reliably giving you the accuracy you need to perfect your skills. I have read, and experienced for myself, that .22 ammo is very fickle. Temp differences greatly affect some ammo's and firearms. I have found that some .22 ammo's only like a narrow range of temp, while others are a bit more robust. The wind reading skills required for shooting the .22 at 300 yards are considerable, and if you can get your rig to perform well enough, the benefits would be worth the effort (I have read of skilled shooters hitting small targets as far out as 500 yards). I would try it out if I were you, but be prepared to get frustrated many times.

Bull
Old 01-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Yeah... I'm always behind the cutting edge of things

My little bolt action Remington is a little over 30 years old (that blows me away. It's the first rifle that I ever bought myself. My dad gave me all of the others) and it's been a while since I've shot it but I've gotten 3/4" groups out of it at 100 yards. Consistently. But... a 100 ain't 300 It'll be fun to play a little and it won't cost much.

I wonder (about) what kind of velocity I can expect out of run of the mill .22LR ammo (40 gr)?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

Great thought Mike1658,
You made a light bulb go off over my head. Post the results when you get a chance.

Darrin
Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

I do that all the time. Total HOOT shooting Prairie Dogs out to 300 plus yards with one. I have a Remington 541T HB with a 6.5X20X40 VXIII scope on it with a set of Stoney Point turrets on it and shoot as far as the turrets will let me.
I also have a Kimber SVT with a Nikon UCC 6.5X20X40 on it. I shoot it a bit better but the shorter barrel keeps the range down just a bit. Both guns love Wolf Match Ammo and on a good day both will shoot just under 1" at 100 yds.
Great practice guns and really make you work the wind a lot which I like as it teaches a person a lot on how to deal with the wind. The Remington with its longer barrel is really quiet to shoot and does not seem to scare the PD's much with the standard velocity Wolf Match ammo. You will run out of clicks though as you get further out and then its a guessing game. Very fun to play with.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

I have a neat old win 22 mag w/ cheapo cabela BDC scope on it , it is a blast, try to find the ammo it likes and have fun. Great for the kids to practice.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Bronze Member

Mike,

I only got my Chrono a few months ago, and haven't been able to get Wolf Match Target ammo here for over a year. I did test some other ammo's, and it went like this.

Rem. Subsonics = 970 fps, ES 126 fps, SD 35 fps
Agulia Centurion = 1200 fps, ES 105 fps, SD 29 fps
Rem. Yellow Jackets = 1280 fps, ES ? (high though), SD ? (high as well)

I don't have all the ammo's I had at one time, but since I have the chrono I'll be testing more.

Last edited by Bull45cal.; 01-07-2010 at 08:19 AM.