Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Prove MK's Expand At Long Range.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: Prove MK\'s Expand At Long Range.

Quite honestly, and with all due respect to Savage99, I do not have to prove anything to him or anyone else.

My responsibility is to my prey and myself as an honourable hunter.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:06 PM

Like any argument, it will never be settled until we can all agree on what the measurement for success or acceptable terminal performance includes. If one is antelope hunting on flat, high altitude prarie, it may be fine if the animal runs 200 yards after being hit and then expires.

This may be TOTALLY Unacceptable on a high altitude sheep hunt where the animal runs off a steep grade and is lost or ruined.

If the measure is the death and recovery of the animal, then MK's are successful in many conditions, keep in mind if you get better accuracy with your weapon with MK's but optimal terminal effect with something else, it won't matter if you do not hit your target.

If you are the sensitive type who carries a stopwatch to measure the time a shot animal suffers before expiration, perhaps you are in the wrong sport, or need to pull your stopwatch out the next time you see a group of lioness tear apart a zebra to get some relative perspective.

Whatever you decide or communicate, be specific, we all hunt under vastly different conditions and ranges. These small differences can produce vastly different outcomes, the devil is truly in the DETAILS, details we can all learn from. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2003, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

If you search the old posts you will find a lot of proof that SMK work on all different kinds of big game animal. I shot 2 deer last season with the 300g SMK out of a 338 Yogi one of the deer was 900 meters thats 984 yards

The other was 1110 meters that's 1214 yards. Hope this helps you with your dilemma on the MK

Crow Mag

[ 05-17-2003: Message edited by: crow mag ]
Old 05-17-2003, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Will someone please turn this guy on to the "Point Blank" videos. Gee I could have sworn they used Match Kings and Amax bullets all through that flick. For stuff that doesn't expand I didn't see any deer in either video complain about dieing too slow.To Whom It May Concern it doesn't matter what Sierra says about whether their bullets expand or not, hollowpoint bullets are against the Geneva Convention. Hey S1 if you want a good match bullet that will expand pretty far out for a 223 try the Hornady 68gr match. It will make a sqeeze toy out of a deer's head at 500yds!!!
Old 05-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Bronze Member

Prove MK\'s Expand At Long Range.

Can anyone proove that Sierra Match King bullets expand on game at long range? I don't mean a picture as there is no proof at what range that shot was made.

I mean a credible witness. Does any name gun writer say that they will? Why does every other page in the Sierra manual say "Sierra does not recommed Matchking bullets for hunting applications".

I did a bench test and at low impact the nose of a MK rivets over and that of a SBT expands.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:15 PM

Savage99...

The Subject is way more complicated than do they expand or don't they expand. All MK bullets are not created equal, neither are they shot at the same velocity or RPM. Some times you hit bone, sometimes you do not. A 44" barrel shooting a 300 MK at an Elk out of a 1 in 9 twist with a lot of powder behind it is devastating in its terminal effect. A 77 gr. MK out of a .223 16" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist hittin a coyote at 700 yards is gonna poke two little holes, one going in and one going out. Mk bullets will frag or plug or anything in between, it all depends on the circumstances.....................
Old 05-17-2003, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Savage99

Are you deliberately trying to piss folks off?

I for one don't care to be called less than credible. I'd suggest you load some MK's up and spend a few precious days shooting animals and recording the results. Base your opinion of what you observe first hand.

P. S.

Don't bother to post the results, I don't believe you're credible enough for the rest of us to put much faith in!