Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Pros and Cons of the Remington Sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Pros and Cons of the Remington Sendero

Those two steps are my last things I need for my gun.
The Jewel is a bit pricy, but it is worth it. Muzzle breaks are another matter - I need to shoot out what I have loaded before I can change the harmonics of my barrel.

Good shooting, congrats.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to include that the X Mark pro trigger is a piece of JUNK.
It is hard to adjust, has trouble HOLDING that adjustment, and in my opinion NEEDS replacing right off the bat, if you can afford it.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgunner7 View Post
In order to touch my lands I'd have to be 1/2 inch over max COAL witch, is impractical and the bullet would hardly be held in the case....

Anybody else have crazy deep lands with the Sendero barrel?

Does the round still fit in the magazine ok with the projectile sticking that far out?

I have a Ruger Hawkeye in .300 Win Mag calibre that shoots about 3" at 100 yards (that's with handloads) and I can't get my projectile anywhere near the lanes (we call them 'Lands' over here in New Zealand) because I'm restricted by the magazine length.

My Ruger MK11 in .30-06 Cal. went from between 2 1/2 - 3" groups at 100 yards, down to less than 1 1/2" 5 shot groups "consistently" at 100 yards "merely" by being able to move the projectile to within .005" off the lands. (Still not that impressive but none-the-less quite a major tightening at any rate)

I'm considering selling the Hawkeye and, sticking with the same calibre (.300 Win Mag) buying a Sendero, cause I heard they were pretty good, however, does anyone know if the Sendero's magazine well will accommodate a .300 Win Mag round with a particularly long projectile that can touch the lands/Lanes, or will I be plagued with the same problem?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

What is the o.a.l. of the loaded cartridge that you wish to use? That length will determine what needs to be done. Gary
Old 07-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero Coveter View Post
Does the round still fit in the magazine ok with the projectile sticking that far out?

I have a Ruger Hawkeye in .300 Win Mag calibre that shoots about 3" at 100 yards (that's with handloads) and I can't get my projectile anywhere near the lanes (we call them 'Lands' over here in New Zealand) because I'm restricted by the magazine length.

My Ruger MK11 in .30-06 Cal. went from between 2 1/2 - 3" groups at 100 yards, down to less than 1 1/2" 5 shot groups "consistently" at 100 yards "merely" by being able to move the projectile to within .005" off the lands. (Still not that impressive but none-the-less quite a major tightening at any rate)

I'm considering selling the Hawkeye and, sticking with the same calibre (.300 Win Mag) buying a Sendero, cause I heard they were pretty good, however, does anyone know if the Sendero's magazine well will accommodate a .300 Win Mag round with a particularly long projectile that can touch the lands/Lanes, or will I be plagued with the same problem?
Depends on how long that "particularly long projectile" is.The distance to the lands in a factory rifle is luck of the draw or crap shoot whichever way you want to look at it,, and every rifle is different.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraedge View Post
What is the o.a.l. of the loaded cartridge that you wish to use? That length will determine what needs to be done. Gary
Hi Gary,

I don't quite understand the question, is this referring to my Ruger Hawkeye? It's 3.570" for the Hawkeye for 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips to touch the lands, however, a new problem I noticed was that, at that length, the OAL was so long that the rifle wouldn't eject it because the very tip got caught up on the front of the ejector port, preventing both the dummy round and the bolt from being removed. Only brute-force was able to overcome that one!

So, if I did manage to somehow sort the magazine out (which I can assure you, to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a gunsmith competent enough here in New Zealand to perform such a task) I'd still have the above situation limiting me from getting the projectile near the lands!

Now, if you're referring to the Sendero, I think that the throat length of the Sendero is gonna determine the OAL of the round, and unfortunately, I don't have one of those (Sendero's) in front of me to determine that, that's what I'd actually like to know! Morgan
Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

I was referring to the Sendero. You can have an extended length magazine box installed that will hold a cartridge nearly 4 inches long. I have seven rifles set up this way. Call me for details. Gary 478-957-5213