Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Pros and Cons of the Remington Sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 01:35 AM
Silver Member

I've enjoyed the heck out of mine.

The first thing I would do is lower the trigger to 2 pounds. The Sendero is an excellent factory platform, great candidate for upgrades.

I have the older style, before they changed the stock. I have never bedded it holds zero and shoots fine, with the aluminum bedding block.

If your not stuck on one caliber, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one. You see them for sale all the time.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:14 AM
Platinum Member

Jacob,
I like the Sendero's because they shoot. The first thing I do to any rifle I get is adjust the trigger to about 2lbs. If it won't adjust down to that level, I put a after market trigger in it.
The Sendero's have good actions, Remington 700. It's not a custom, but alot of "custom" rifles have been based on this action. The barrel is standard Remngton factory. I don't think they do anything special like lap it or use any special cutting process. That's luck of the draw, but I've had good luck three times! The stocks are made by HS Precision for Remington. They are synthetic with an aluminum bedding block so they are very stable, consistent and do not shift POI, normally.
I've owned two of the original style with solid blued barrel. One in 7mmRM and the other in .300WM. Both shot lights out and consistently connected on remote, small targets. Good glass is required.
I now have a 700P in 7mmRM and a Sendero SF in .25-06. The 700P is just getting broke in and the last three groups were .8, .6 and .4 (62.5/63.0/63.5gns IMR4350/150gn NBT/CCI BR2). I haven't chrono'd them yet but I'm pretty sure they're fast!
The .25-06 shoots everything very well. It shoots the Sierra 75gn HP (coyote load), 100gn TSX and NBT and 115gn NBT and 117gn Sierra spitzer all into sub .5" groups.
I'd buy another in a heartbeat. They flat out deliver. Heavy, that's subjective, like recoil. Both of the 7mags that I have/had were used. The guys that got rid of them said they were too heavy. I say cowboy up. It's not intended to be a mountain rifle or to be used to shoot bobwhites and running cotton tails! They were the first "speciality" rifles, designed for the general public, intended for long range shooting/hunting. JohnnyK.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

I am also interested in the sendero. Can any one else tell Jacob and I more about the sendero? What group sizes and what work needed to be done?

Thanks,
Levi
Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Levi,
About the only thing that I have ever done on mine is adjust the trigger down and do a proper barrel break-in (another lengthy subject with many opinions). I only shoot handloads, so ammo is usually tailored to the rifle. Install the best glass you can afford. Learn your set-up and practice. Have fun. JohnnyK.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Bronze Member

Levi

I have a factory barrel and stock 300 Rum Sendaro. The rifle has been bedded using Steel Bed, Jewel trigger, Custom brake and of course a thicker Recoil lug. Now that may sound like allot but the rifle shoots sub 1/4 MOA @ 100. It loves the 185 VLDs & Retumbo. My smith has talked me into building a new big 30, and I do not know why I agreed, but all well it is good to have a variety.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Sendro

I have the 2506 Sendero and it is a good shooter. I highly recommend the Sendero line of rifles.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Pros and Cons of the Remington Sendero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
Remington Model 700™ Sendero® SF II Specifications

If you look at the spec the 264mag weights 9lb without scope etc and if you plan on packing might be alittle on the heavy side. Well good luck
I think they come in at 8-1/2 pounds. Just sayin'.