Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Proper cronograph setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Great opportunity for my first post.

Firstly, congrats on getting a crono. Very useful tool. I've used my CE Pro Crono since 1999. I've not used it in late dusk or early dawn lighting. I have used it on bright sunny, heavy overcast, and indoor shooting range lighting. Worked fine.

Of huge importance is that the crono be mounted on a solid, or, ridged base. A high end sturdy tripod. Or, invest in a folding "saw buck", saw horse. Any means of mounting it solidly will work.

Any instability, the muzzle blast will jostle the crono resulting in the corrupted velocities you are getting. The common low cost tripods are not solid enough in my opinion.

I'll add that I set the crono 12-15 feet ahead of the shooting bench. If you have a BB or pellet air rifle use that to get familiar with the cronos functions.

Last edited by TooDogs; 03-20-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: add distance

Unread 03-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Bronze Member
Thanks for all the input, went out today and set crony back up. I used the suggestions that were given to me and the crony worked great, thanks guys.
Unread 03-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by ScooterDad View Post
I would also try taking the muzzle brake off or build a wall of sand bags between the muzzle and your crono unit. I use to have the same problem with may digital PACTcrono, and it didnt matter the time of day or the light conditions. I had another member at my range suggest the sand bag wall, since then I havent had any issues.

Interesting, I have a Pact chrono and a ced Millennium. The pact reads my 300 ultra mag without muzzle brake placed at 12" and my 22 rifle but will not read my 300 Sendero Ultra Mag with a muzzle brake. My CED Millennium will read the Sendero at 12 ft. I always try to get a little further if I can.

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!