Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Proper brass sorting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Proper brass sorting

Jerry,

Thanks, very astute observations they are too. Tempering all this stuff with practicality, and sensability is the approach I take, but can afford to as well... no 1000yd BR up here ya know. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Some, if not most all my fiddling with the finer details like this are just a way to ensure upmost consistancy by catching the few (probably very few too) wild ass fliers from such causes, that's about it too.

How much groups open up from each one of these little details is unknown to me at this point, just know what I've read is all. Eliminating some of these things, well it allows me to focus on my load without much thought as to my component quality and consistancy causing fliers or high SD's.

I know BountyHunter is a strong advocate of bearing length batching, others batching of brass, others the Juenkee I.C.C. etc, etc. I just hope to quantify for myself at some point, what controling each one might gain me. If I can't measure its gain, it won't be worth nothin in the end but knowing it did or didn't. If all other variables are not elliminated, which is almost impossible with relaoding in and of itself, we can never put a number or a range of possible improvement on it. Part of me enjoys answering these questions for myself, part of me hates the livin hell out of doing it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Kinda like verifying a drop chart for the umteenth million time with the same or, new load for what ever reason, when I'd like to be bounching around at unknown ranges testing my freakin skills on other things. Gotta keep the foundation solid tho, the other stuff don't mean squat if you don't keep the basis solid as a rock. Vertical IS something I can control, the other stuff I'm workin hard on gettin my hands around. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

In the end, I'll be sacrificing a tenth or so MOA that others may never, like you said, comes down to wind mostly. Rangefinding ability and accuracy is right up there too. The RF deal can be dealt with if enough $$ is available, wind is purely upto an individuals ability and will always be a wild card in many ways. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Writers Guild

Re: Proper brass sorting

I think that all the "retentive" experimenting that is going on in the BR world will improve our sport and increase our mechanical accuracy. It certainly has raised the bar for bullet manufacturers and we all enjoy shooting "hunting" bullets that would have kicked butt on the Match circuit 15 years ago.

I may be wrong but the refinements going on are at the point of diminishing returns. We are starting to compromise other areas to improve something. In most BR settings, practicality doesn't really matter but for hunting it does. Do we need rifles better then 1/2 MOA but don't feed or eject properly?

I think where gains have to come is in the powder and primers that we use. We need powders that burn more consistently, with less fouling, have no sensitivity to temp or humidity. Of course, more emphasis on the slower end would be nice too. I know that will come with the military interest in the Lapua and other large case magnums.

The future should prove very interesting...

Jerry