Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

A Project Question????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2002, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

A Project Question????

This may have been done before but i don't know so here it goes.
I want the .338 lapua cartridge and have a 300 win mag sendero. The bolt face of the 300 is .532 and the case head of the lapua case is .588. To me it seems like you can rebate the lapua case to .532 to fit the bolt face i have now and put a new barrel on it and chamber for the lapua.I have a machinist that will turn the cases to fit the bolt face and will true the action ,put a competition lug on,do the work to the new barrel and make it as perfect as possible.I am not concerned about feeding problems because my 300 is a single shot now beins i seat the bullet out to the lands. This is of no concern to me. MY question is- What effect does this have on the case to rebate it to fit my bolt face now? Seems like an easy solution but am i missing something?
Thanks in advance
Matt
Old 12-22-2002, 06:28 PM

Re: A Project Question????

If it was me I would look at having the bolt face opened up and add a sako extractor. Sure beats having to turn brass every time you want to blow new brass out.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with Tim, it will work perfectly too. My brothers is done this way and so will mine be.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replys
I want to keep the bolt face as is as i want this to be a switch barrel. I don't want to open the bolt face up due to makin it to thin on the sides. We are going to make a cutter to turn the brass down on the lathe and plan on turning alot of brass at one time.May be a bit tedious but hey i would rather do that than the "Honey DO List". I was really just wondering about what effect it would have on the case if any. Any problems to think of? I might have to modify the extractor a little but if we cut the brass to the slight taper that the 300 win mag has it should be no problem. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Will there be enough rim left on the cases for reliable extraction?