Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

problems with bergers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: problems with bergers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
call it what you want, all the damage you see in the pics is superfishel except the inner loins in the next to the last pic, and that was my fault from poor shot placement. They are not any worse than an accubond from what I have saw from 6 deer harvested with them.
RR
Ridge Runner, I had the SAME experience last deer season, 2011. I shot two deer in July on a crop damage hunt, with similar results in a seven mag, using a 168 grain bullet. HUGE superficial wound. Then, in the November rifle season, the same thing with a 30 cal, 168 grain. Shot the deer behind the shoulder at 221 yards. The deer dropped, and laid there for 20 minutes. When I walked over to her to recover, she got up!!!!! When she ran into the woods, I saw a pie plate size flesh wound, and a puddle of blood where she was lying. But believe me, when she got up, she had plenty of energy. We tracked her her for about 3/4 mile, for there was a blood trail, but it was not a fatal hit. The bullet blowup outside of her, I'm sure. We never did find that deer, and that was the last one I have fired at deer. I'll shoot them at a match, but no more " Ham- Berger " for me thank you! I have switched to Barnes LRX bullets, VERY happy! Bang Flop, right now! That's my take, and I'm sad to say it! When I switched to the Bergers, I was caught up in the accuracy I got with them, but I am a hunter, and to me, these are not the best I can do! What I am shooting now flat out kill deer!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

We have to remember that Berger doesn't recommend using their bullets for hunting, with the exception of the appropriately-named VLD Hunting bullet. If you shoot target bullets, they will not perform on game because they weren't designed to.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskShooter View Post
We have to remember that Berger doesn't recommend using their bullets for hunting, with the exception of the appropriately-named VLD Hunting bullet. If you shoot target bullets, they will not perform on game because they weren't designed to.
sask, the first pic in my post was a hunting vld, had 3 in a row do that
RR
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

My son and I both use Berger hunting VLD's. mine in a 257WBY 115 (3240) and his 243win 95g (2608 fps). With the Weatherby I have never had a exit wound, closest shot was 12 yards longest was 470. In every case the bullet entered and exploded in the cavity. Very minimal meat damage in every animal. Even the butcher was amaized with the minimal meat damage. If you want the ribs it is not the bullet you want, but fragments don't penetrate past ribs. With the 243 he has had the same experiences wether under 20 yards or over 400. We did recover one slug on the far rib on a 434 yard shot, recovered weight was 52.3g. Both rifles have had problems with nosler Hunting BT with meat damage. I shot barnes triple shock once on a nice mule, small hole in same size hole out. Tracked for a few hours had to finish off with a neck shot, Never again. I will stick with the bergers until something better comes around.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Is that so? Please tell me of your field results that support this statement. But first you may want to read about the 19 big game kills we made with the Berger 215 Targets last season.

Thanks
Jeff

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-hybrid-88657/

Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Is that so? Please tell me of your field results that support this statement. But first you may want to read about the 19 big game kills we made with the Berger 215 Targets last season.

Thanks
Jeff

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-hybrid-88657/

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Although, for the record, I was referring more to the "blow up" results the others were mentioning.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Although, for the record, I was referring more to the "blow up" results the others were mentioning.
Yes Sir, I understand that. Although in some instances dependent on twist, rifling, velocity and caliber the slightly thicker jackets of the Bergers labeled "Target" are actually better suited for "Hunting" from these type rifles.

My point is with bullets it is never "one size fits all"

Jeff