Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

problems with bergers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 PM

Re: problems with bergers

What about blood shot? I like to hunt for meat and all the talk about massive damage is not a good thing for blood shot meat. Just courious.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

ok, my story I shot a 6.5 gibbs with a 30" 8 twist kreiger, I run 140's at around 3200 fps. When I first used bergers in it, there was no orange box hunting or yellow box target, there was a thick and thin jackets, I found a box of thick jackets somewhere and the accuracy was excellant, so I went hunting, only had 1 shot opprotunity, a doe at 419 yards, held for a doule lung shot hit her where I aimed, she ran 40 yards, that bullet exited almost the size of a quarter. before the next season I ran out of bullets, so sent my better 1/2 to the gunshop to get some, well they had changed them the way they were packaged, the guy running the shop, even though the mrs had the part number talked her into the orange box, well accuracy was again excellant so I got the charts tuned, rifle sighted in and went deer hunting, catastrophe struck, shot 3 deer with it that fall, ranges were 230 yards, 457 yards, 493 yards. never found the 493, lost him after 1.5 miles of tracking. the 457 I found the next morning after 1/2 mile of tracking, the 230 yard shot was a doe, she piled up after a 100 yard sprint, here is what the 2 recovered deer had for entrance wounds

as you can see total penetration was 2" or less on a lungshot, have never skinned a rib shot deer that didn't at least have a hole into the chest cavity that was visible.
so I ditched the orange box, sent the mrs back to town for the yellow boxed match bullets, once again the guy didn't want to sell them to her, cause she told him I was using them for hunting bullets, he even had her to call me and ask, then he got on the phone and was telling me the difference, so told him to tell the mrs forget it, and hung up, and ordered a yellow box online.
This year I used the yellow boxed match bullets they accounted for 5 deer, 4 of which were drt, one took a 40 yard sprint, even on not so good hits, they disrupted enough tissue and sent enough fragments into the vitals that the deer just took a dirt nap.

this was a 140# 3.5 yo 8 point, chasing does, was a bad hit, 3" below the spine at 370 yards, he never moved after the report

here is the damage, even the spine was broken, lungs were pepered with fragments, liver was totaly shredded.

decent buck for this area.
So near as I can tell my fast twist cut rifled barrel, just engraves the thin jacketed hunting bullets too deep causing violent premature expansion, however in this rifle the thick jacketed match bullets perform like the thin ones do in a different barrel.
RR
Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
The deer is a hard call without recovering it, I've seen them jump and kick when shot in the brisket, also the heart though. I've had deer run a long way without a heart that has been removed by a Matrix or Berger VLD, like almost across a pivot far but seeing the hit I knew they were dead so let them run with one hit, every deer was missing most or all of it's heart which kinda surprised me.
The reason they can run so far without their heart is when it is stuck, it stomps pumping and locks oxygen rich blood into the brain and muscles of the body. Allowing them to run "dead" for possibly hundreds of yards.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhack View Post
Internal damage was minimal for my 270wsm shoulder shot missed the heart by only a couple inches it was a perfect hole no shock transfer. The internal damage on the lung shot was minimal holes were straight through both lung with the lung on the closer side having same sized entrance and exit. The far side lung had a little bit more damage but was still unimpressive. Every deer I have lung shot with nosler's the damage has been impressive with massive damage to both lungs. Don't get me wrong I love bergers but I just don't have any confidence shooting them at Game after my bad experience.
That's extremely odd IMO, I've shot a lot of animals with the 140 Berger and 140 Accubond and the performance of the Berger was the reason I started loading Bergers other cals, there was no comparing them!! They normally open right at or just inside the rib cage then you can see that they open aggressively after that blowing a hole out the other side that is fist size if they exit.
And the 130 should have opened easy since you should have been running them right at the limit of the jacket, even the 140's in a WSM you can run them right at the edge for the jacket. I would dang sure shoot a detailed e-mail to Eric Stecker at Berger with the lot # and all the details.
I would take a close look at the 165 Matrix VLD, it's about as good as it gets in the 270 WSM, during my testing I shot light whitetails like yearlings to see how they did and they were impressive while still reaming any elk that got in the way

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 PM

That is the worst eating deer I have seen. I would look at maybe a better constructed bullet. Just my opinion.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post
That is the worst eating deer I have seen. I would look at maybe a better constructed bullet. Just my opinion.
The pics above are not the typical Berger wound, I ran a large wild game processor and now cut wild game in my extra time now and I shoot Bergers because of the lethality of them and the meat loss is minimal compared to other bullets I've used that have been labeled "premium hunting bullets".

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

call it what you want, all the damage you see in the pics is superfishel except the inner loins in the next to the last pic, and that was my fault from poor shot placement. They are not any worse than an accubond from what I have saw from 6 deer harvested with them.
RR