Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

problems with bergers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Gold Member

Re: problems with bergers

as has been said, without recovering the animals you have no idea what is going on. I've had some issues with bergers in a certain rifle and it has been narroed down to jacket damage from the rifleing causing premature expansion. I just stepped up to the thicker jacketed match bullets and things are better, however until you know what the problem is, you don't know what to do to fix the issues.
RR
Old 01-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Silver Member

Barnes bullets is your answer.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

I've shot a lot of the 140 Berger out of a 270 WSM but way faster than a 270 will push them and they are flawless.The deer is a hard call without recovering it, I've seen them jump and kick when shot in the brisket, also the heart though. I've had deer run a long way without a heart that has been removed by a Matrix or Berger VLD, like almost across a pivot far but seeing the hit I knew they were dead so let them run with one hit, every deer was missing most or all of it's heart which kinda surprised me. From everything I've hit with the 140 Berger if anything I've though it opened a little easy from the WSM and just about right for the 270, my buddy runs them at 3035 from his 270 and does well with them or he runs a 165 Matrix.
The coyote hit does not surprise me, I think the Berger varmint bullets at the range you hit it are not as aggressive as you normally think of a varmint bullet like a V-max. We shoot the 60 gr Berger varmint bullet in our 22-250's for deer and antelope out to 600 yards and after about 300 yards ish you will get exits that look like you shot them with the Berger hunting bullets, by 500 yards they are excellent making a nice augered hole through deer and antelope. Just the Berger Varmint bullets we've shot they are great for accuracy and shooting but you do have to place them better than a bullet that will just blow up at the slightest hit.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM

Thanks for all the response guys. What would happen if I used vlds for coyotes instead of the varmint bullets?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 AM

I switched to Bergers last year after hearing all the great reviews. I loved the accuracy I was getting with them in my 270 wsm. When deer season rolled around, The first deer i shot through the front shoulders both shoulders. To my surprise it didn't even phase him so I started tracking after following the trail about 700 yards he quit bleeding and I lost the trail and never recovered that deer, which puts a really bad taste in my mouth. Next deer I hit with the 130 gr Bergers did almost the same thing only I was able to catch up to this one before the trail went cold, thanks to my horse. The second shot I put through both lungs at a 100 yards, it didn't even phase him no shock whatsoever. I started to think that I somehow missed but after he ran about a 150 yards he tipped over dead. Both deer were averaged body deer, after inspecting the wounds. The first shot the entrance hole and exit hole were the same size. The second wound the exit hole was bigger than the entrance but not much. I loved the bergers for their accuracy but I switched back to noslers for hunting, I have never had any bad experiences with a nosler.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhack View Post
I switched to Bergers last year after hearing all the great reviews. I loved the accuracy I was getting with them in my 270 wsm. When deer season rolled around, The first deer i shot through the front shoulders both shoulders. To my surprise it didn't even phase him so I started tracking after following the trail about 700 yards he quit bleeding and I lost the trail and never recovered that deer, which puts a really bad taste in my mouth. Next deer I hit with the 130 gr Bergers did almost the same thing only I was able to catch up to this one before the trail went cold, thanks to my horse. The second shot I put through both lungs at a 100 yards, it didn't even phase him no shock whatsoever. I started to think that I somehow missed but after he ran about a 150 yards he tipped over dead. Both deer were averaged body deer, after inspecting the wounds. The first shot the entrance hole and exit hole were the same size. The second wound the exit hole was bigger than the entrance but not much. I loved the bergers for their accuracy but I switched back to noslers for hunting, I have never had any bad experiences with a nosler.
What was the internal damage?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM

Internal damage was minimal for my 270wsm shoulder shot missed the heart by only a couple inches it was a perfect hole no shock transfer. The internal damage on the lung shot was minimal holes were straight through both lung with the lung on the closer side having same sized entrance and exit. The far side lung had a little bit more damage but was still unimpressive. Every deer I have lung shot with nosler's the damage has been impressive with massive damage to both lungs. Don't get me wrong I love bergers but I just don't have any confidence shooting them at Game after my bad experience.