Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

problems with bergers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 08:40 PM

problems with bergers

Has anyone had trouble with berger varmint bullets not killing? I shot a coyote tonight with a .243 80 grain berger varmint at 581 yards he did the spin dance for awhile and the trotted off not limping or humped or anything. Found a little blood but never did find him. Also shot a mule deer doe at 400 with my .270 shooting 140 grain vlds and she jumped and kicked then ran off. No blood and never found her. Last I saw she was on private property still going good. I shot 2 antelope with the same combo both about 350 yards and they tipped right over. I love my bergers just having some confidence issues I guess. Am I doing something wrong or what?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: problems with bergers

No way to tell where you hit them. If it was a killing shot, they are dead. If not, they aren't. It can happen with any bullet.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

I don't want to be a downer here, but truth is, if you hit that doe in the killzone she'd be dead. Even if the bullet failed to mushroom or fragment at all, if it went into the boiler room, she would not live that long.

My guess would be that you went just a tiny bit low and likely hit the leg but didn't hit bone causing only a muscle wound that would eventually heal up.

I haven't shot many animals with Bergers, but they've still never failed on me.

When it all boils down, caliber, sectional density, ballistic coefficient, bullet weight and construction, velocity, etc. all put together don't matter half as much as shot placement.
As long as you poke a hole in the right spot, the critter will die, as the dozens of cattle I've killed with a .22 LR have proven.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

I have shot plenty of coyotes. Usually the spin while biting at their rear means a hit in the rear or high rear leg muscle.

I also agree with what jeffp40 said.

Where did you hit the 2 antelope at?

Jeff
Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 PM

Hit both antelope behind the shoulder. As for the doe I have shot a lot of animals and never seen one jump and kick over their head if not hit in the heart area. And if the bullet performs correctly on a coyote it doesnt matter where you hit them there should be something tore up if its a varmint specific bullet. My point is I dont think some of my bullets are opening up.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:52 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper89 View Post
Hit both antelope behind the shoulder. As for the doe I have shot a lot of animals and never seen one jump and kick over their head if not hit in the heart area. And if the bullet performs correctly on a coyote it doesnt matter where you hit them there should be something tore up if its a varmint specific bullet. My point is I dont think some of my bullets are opening up.
The Berger Varmint bullet are little thin at the nose @ 581 yds may of hit something before bullet got to him or you missed vitals. Berger does rec a 1/12 twist barrel for that bullet might want to step up to the 88gr if you have 1/10 twist only reason I mention that is just started to load that bullet in my 243AI with 1/10 twist. I've had pretty good luck with the 87gr Hornady bullet also.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper89 View Post
As for the doe I have shot a lot of animals and never seen one jump and kick over their head if not hit in the heart area.
A hit to any part of the heart or even close and I feel the deer would be done in a very short distance. Even if the bullet never expanded at all.

But we can't say for sure where it was hit if it was not recovered. If you have lost confidence then by all means change bullets. I did when I had trouble with bullets not expanding. But I had recovered animals to prove my thoughts. I changed to Bergers years ago and have not tracked an animal since, and that was a 100 plus kills ago.

Jeff