Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Problem 700 SPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Problem 700 SPS

As you can see in the picture there are some nice marks made on the cases. For my own prosperity, are these from a poorly finished chamber or are these marks typical with the Remington extraction process? This is where the brass shavings come from I believe.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Problem 700 SPS-imag0126.jpg  
Old 03-13-2014, 11:56 PM
Silver Member

working the action over is not going to make a bad chamber in a turd barrel shoot !
I have Rem 700's that were 300 Rums to start with, back in 2002 I had my smith give one the works to accurize it and rebarrel to 300 Tomahawk with a #7 Hart barrel, It is extremely accurate but I have to say it's the Hart barrel !!!!!

my 338 Edge got an Obermeyer bbl with zero action accurizing and shoots 300 gr Accubonds as good as the 300 Tomahawk with target bullets...

my other Rems got Bartlein, Brux and Rock Creek bbls with no action accurizing of any kind....all shoot as good and maybe a bit better than the accurized one ! most of the time accurizing is not needed, a high quality barrel and a new chamber by a competent gunsmith will make a fine shooting Rem 700

BTW ... have a smith install a Sako Extractor (properly) and your brass shavings and brass damage will vanish... a new barrel and chamber will have you shooting some nice groups

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
working the action over is not going to make a bad chamber in a turd barrel shoot !
I have Rem 700's that were 300 Rums to start with, back in 2002 I had my smith give one the works to accurize it and rebarrel to 300 Tomahawk with a #7 Hart barrel, It is extremely accurate but I have to say it's the Hart barrel !!!!!

my 338 Edge got an Obermeyer bbl with zero action accurizing and shoots 300 gr Accubonds as good as the 300 Tomahawk with target bullets...

my other Rems got Bartlein, Brux and Rock Creek bbls with no action accurizing of any kind....all shoot as good and maybe a bit better than the accurized one ! most of the time accurizing is not needed, a high quality barrel and a new chamber by a competent gunsmith will make a fine shooting Rem 700

BTW ... have a smith install a Sako Extractor (properly) and your brass shavings and brass damage will vanish... a new barrel and chamber will have you shooting some nice groups
After seeing his pictures of brass damage, yeah, the only help is a new barrel with a proper chamber by a competent smith. I wouldn't send it back to Remington, they're just screw it up again.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Gold Member

Like I said before my 700 SPS did the exact same thing to brass of my .308. the difference is the belt on your 7Mag is the highspot. Once I smoothed off the bottom of my bolt it quit destroying brass. Unless you never fed that snap cap in from the magazine? If you picture the bottom of your bolt as a file you can imagine dragging it across the top round in the magazine as if it were being held in a vice.

The extractor can't be scratching the belt but could be damaging the "rim" I suppose. I would take your steel wool (better yet 600 grit wet/dry) and run it along the underside of your bolt. Mine felt like 150 grit sandpaper out of the box and the first 50 brass I bought I thought wouldn't last more than a couple loadings.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

That scratch on the belt looks like a really rough fed rail. A couple strokes with a fine stone or even a folded up piece of 320 should take care of that.

I suspect the crown is the root for the accuracy problems. It need not be damaged. Just not cut square will cause this.

On the primer cratering have you tried CCI-250 primers?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

I've had a couple 700 SPS cheapie rifles in standard calibers like 270, and I hesitate to say this under the circumstances, but they shot great with most ammo for what they cost...about 3/4 moa at 100 yards. The only upgrade I made to them was a Timney adjustable trigger since the Rem factory trigger is not adjustable and truly horrible. With a rifle that Cabela's sometimes sale prices down to almost $300 new, its certainly going to be a gamble from one to the next. It sounds like I got lucky with mine.

I'd have a good rifle smith run a scope down the bore and tell you what he sees with the rifling. Maybe some action work and a good hand lapping of the bore will do the trick. Otherwise you're looking at a trued action and custom barrel, as others have suggested. You might also want to try some more forgiving bullets like the original accubonds to see how they shoot.

If its any consolation, spending a lot of money on a factory rifle is no guarantee either. I bought a NIB Remington Sendero in 300 RUM and it just wouldn't shoot no matter what I tried. Sent it back to Remington for warranty work and they acknowledged a problem, claimed to have lapped the bore and re-crowned the barrel and sent it back. The test target they sent was pathetic. A three shot vertical string measuring 1 inch to closest edges was "within warranty". It sure didn't look like anything I'd call a 1" group. It never really shot much better and I ended up selling it with full disclosure and a slight loss. Now when I want a rifle for accurate shooting, its a custom build. When you get done adding up all the extra costs poured into the SPS, the only difference is that you'll spend more money and still not have the quality of a custom build when you're finished.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

Thanks all. I have a good idea what needs to be done to get what I want out of this gun. Leaning toward selling and start over.