Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Problem 700 SPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Problem 700 SPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
That's an unnecessary cost to end users a cost they might not be able to readily cough up. It's end users' call, and no one else.
True, but $30-40 for an old school Rem trigger is easily justifiable. And when adjusted by a competent smith it'll out perfrom the XMP hands-down.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
That's an unnecessary cost to end users a cost they might not be able to readily cough up. It's end users' call, and no one else.
add to this the cost that more than half the end users will have to pay a gun smith to install the trigger, after all not everybody is a gunsmith.
gary
Old 04-13-2014, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
add to this the cost that more than half the end users will have to pay a gun smith to install the trigger, after all not everybody is a gunsmith.
gary
My gunsmith doesn't charge me anything to install a trigger since he's usually truing the action and everything anyway. All he's doing is putting a different trigger in during re-assembly and adjusting it down to a continually safe working load where it won't AD and making it a safe gun.

I'm not a smith at all, but installing and adjusting an old style Rem trigger is not an overly arduous task... I've done several on my own rifles, and even adjusted a buddy's XMP to a point where it's safe, yet significantly better than what you could get out of the stnadard adjustment screw....

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
My gunsmith doesn't charge me anything to install a trigger since he's usually truing the action and everything anyway. All he's doing is putting a different trigger in during re-assembly and adjusting it down to a continually safe working load where it won't AD and making it a safe gun.

I'm not a smith at all, but installing and adjusting an old style Rem trigger is not an overly arduous task... I've done several on my own rifles, and even adjusted a buddy's XMP to a point where it's safe, yet significantly better than what you could get out of the stnadard adjustment screw....
Good for you!

I really don't understand why you continue to make this an unnecessary debate esp. when it is only an FYSA and those that are directly affected are very receptive to the recall >>> Voluntary recall of Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

According to my serial numbers of the old action block and new action block, my gun is not subject to the recall. However, this don't make me feel better about their triggers especially since I can't get mine under 4 lbs even with after market springs.

On the upside. Gun is shooting as expected. During break in, first 20 rounds or so were about 1.5 MOA with cheap factory ammo and then last 5 shots without cleaning between was around 1" Looks like I have a potential shooter.

Thanks everyone for your help and support.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

After market triggers are better anyways.