Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

Problem 700 SPS

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #78  
Old 04-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,358
Re: Problem 700 SPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
That's an unnecessary cost to end users a cost they might not be able to readily cough up. It's end users' call, and no one else.
True, but $30-40 for an old school Rem trigger is easily justifiable. And when adjusted by a competent smith it'll out perfrom the XMP hands-down.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,544
Re: Problem 700 SPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
That's an unnecessary cost to end users a cost they might not be able to readily cough up. It's end users' call, and no one else.
add to this the cost that more than half the end users will have to pay a gun smith to install the trigger, after all not everybody is a gunsmith.
gary
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-13-2014, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,358
Re: Problem 700 SPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
add to this the cost that more than half the end users will have to pay a gun smith to install the trigger, after all not everybody is a gunsmith.
gary
My gunsmith doesn't charge me anything to install a trigger since he's usually truing the action and everything anyway. All he's doing is putting a different trigger in during re-assembly and adjusting it down to a continually safe working load where it won't AD and making it a safe gun.

I'm not a smith at all, but installing and adjusting an old style Rem trigger is not an overly arduous task... I've done several on my own rifles, and even adjusted a buddy's XMP to a point where it's safe, yet significantly better than what you could get out of the stnadard adjustment screw....
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 04-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 4,349
Re: Problem 700 SPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
My gunsmith doesn't charge me anything to install a trigger since he's usually truing the action and everything anyway. All he's doing is putting a different trigger in during re-assembly and adjusting it down to a continually safe working load where it won't AD and making it a safe gun.

I'm not a smith at all, but installing and adjusting an old style Rem trigger is not an overly arduous task... I've done several on my own rifles, and even adjusted a buddy's XMP to a point where it's safe, yet significantly better than what you could get out of the stnadard adjustment screw....
Good for you!

I really don't understand why you continue to make this an unnecessary debate esp. when it is only an FYSA and those that are directly affected are very receptive to the recall >>> Voluntary recall of Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles ...
__________________

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 119
Re: Problem 700 SPS

According to my serial numbers of the old action block and new action block, my gun is not subject to the recall. However, this don't make me feel better about their triggers especially since I can't get mine under 4 lbs even with after market springs.

On the upside. Gun is shooting as expected. During break in, first 20 rounds or so were about 1.5 MOA with cheap factory ammo and then last 5 shots without cleaning between was around 1" Looks like I have a potential shooter.

Thanks everyone for your help and support.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 119
Re: Problem 700 SPS

After market triggers are better anyways.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you watch outdoor shows live or by recording them?
Always recorded - 13.35%
110 Votes
Mostly recorded - 24.15%
199 Votes
Sometimes recorded - 14.44%
119 Votes
Rarely or never recorded - 48.06%
396 Votes
Total Votes: 824
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC