Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Problem 700 SPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

Problem 700 SPS

I do a lot of reading on this forum and there is a ton of great advice so I thought I would join and post the problem I've been having.

At the right price, I purchased a new 700 SPS in 7mm Rem Mag 4 months ago and have been having issues with it. My goal with this gun was to be a project gun I could improve from year to year. My accuracy standard for this gun is at least moa as it will be used for shooting out to 600+ yards. This is my first Remington. Below are a list of problems I have identified:

1. First shot resulted in a case stuck in the chamber. (Was sent back for warranty work in which they replaced the extractor and checked headspace) After repair, extraction seams to function.
2. Brass cases have very noticeable scratches on and near the belt of the cases after extraction.
3. Brass shavings build up on the bolt face after a shooting session. Assumed caused by extractor and problems identified in item 2.
4. Cratered primers even on low pressure rounds (300 fps lower than factory velocities). Appears the firing pin hole on the bolt face is oversized.
5. Precision is non-existent

To expound on item #5, starting with factory Winchester ammo with 150 grain power point bullets, I could not group better than 3-inches at 100 yards.

Here is a list of things I have tried to improve the precision of the rifle and none have worked.

1. Had two friends shoot it and none grouped any better than 3"
2. Bedded action, made pillars out of bedding material, free floated barrel
3. Stiffened factory stock forfend
4. Used 150 grain Winchester Power Point bullets
5. Used 162 grain Hornady SPBT Interlock bullets
6. Used 168 grain Berger VLD bullets
7. Used 175 grain Nosler ABLR bullets
8. Varied seating depths from 0.010" to 0.150" off lands with bullets above
9. Worked up powder charges with IMR 7828 and H1000 and was able to get a couple groups around 1.5" with velocities 250 fps less than factory which is unacceptable. 3"+ at or near standard velocities.
10. Changed stock to Bell and Carlson Medalist, free floated barrel and skim bedded action.

So after $450 in shipping fees, ammo, and stock improvements with no fix in sight I am wondering what to do with this gun. I would much rather have spent that on a better gun as Remington is proving to be less than helpful.

Should I send this gun back to Remington and hope they do something that will get me at least MOA accuracy since it is still under warranty, mess around with other barrel bedding techniques, take it to a smith for evaluation and some work, or just sell the thing?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: Problem 700 SPS

Get rid if the junk factory barrel. The SPS is the cheapest Rem 700 out there and Remington barrels are amongst the worst. Call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply and see if he has a CBI prefit barrel in stock that installs with a barrel nut like on a Savage. If he has what you want you will save about $500 compared to a gunsmith job and possibly 6-9 months of time too.

How is the trigger ? Usually the triggers are about 8+ lb from the factory and the new ones are made so that they cannot be adjusted lighter. Usually it is cheaper to get a Shilen trigger for $100 than any of the other options including a trigger job by a competent smith.

I have owned 2 Remingtons. On 1 the barrel was fine (223 1:12) and on the other (classic in 8x57) the barrel and trigger were awful.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

My SPS had problems shaving lead as well and scratching cases. it was from the rough surface of the bead blasted bolt. I took fine sandpaper and "polished" the underside of the bolt that drags across the top of the first round in the magazine.

I'm now beginning to wonder if my chamber is not out of spec though as I have gotten several cases that appear to be swollen on one side after firing? Also have cratered primers on low intensity loads but as you said I believe it is just from a loose firing pin and oversized hole. For the price they are a cheap way to get an action for a project. I will soon be replacing the barrel and got rid of the tupperware stock years ago. My trigger isn't horrific but I do intend to someday get a Jewell on it.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

1st thing to do is sell it. If you can not then use it as a tent stake.
2nd thing to do is buy a Weatherby Accumark or cheapie Vanguard. They out shoot any non custom.
3rd Have Backus build you a tuned rifle.
4th Check out Kelbys if you want a superior product
5th did I remember to tell you to get rid of the Remington? Even a Savage axis is better!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
1st thing to do is sell it. If you can not then use it as a tent stake.
2nd thing to do is buy a Weatherby Accumark or cheapie Vanguard. They out shoot any non custom.
3rd Have Backus build you a tuned rifle.
4th Check out Kelbys if you want a superior product
5th did I remember to tell you to get rid of the Remington? Even a Savage axis is better!
After my smith took a look down the barrel of my Accumark with less than 250 rounds down it, you couldn't give me another one. The barrel has tight spots in it for sure, and (according to him) looks like it was rifled by a madget with a hammer and chisel... That would explain why it barely shoots 1 MOA on a good day. I think it might be making a trip back to Paso Robles, CA with a very impolite note.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

Have to wonder what the Rem barrel has to look like it if can't shoot better than 3moa ? Same for my 8x57 "Classic" that could not shoot reliably better than 3MOA either.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Have to wonder what the Rem barrel has to look like it if can't shoot better than 3moa ? Same for my 8x57 "Classic" that could not shoot reliably better than 3MOA either.
I haven't quite figured out how rem can make a rifle shoot that poorly, but they are good at it, and we've seen a couple of them over the years. For gits and shiggles a few years back I grouped my smoothbore 12 gauge with slugs at 100 yards and IT shot in the three inch range. For a rifle to only squeak it at that group size is inexcusable imo..