Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Primers and Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2003, 01:15 AM

Primers and Brass

I have seen on this forum and others, discussion of different brands and types of primers and their relative burn. However, the replys have always been links to other web sites that did not work for me. Does someone have a rosetta stone to primer power that could be posted here?

Also, is there a general rule to US made brass? Specifically thickness, hardness, uniformness, durability, etc. I load PMC cases in 22-.250 and a guy at work told me that this brass is thicker than others. I know thinner brass = more case capacity, but does it also mean shorter case life?
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Primers and Brass

I have a copy from PS magazine I'll post when I get it loaded up later. Interesting...

Ian,

In my '03 Hart catalog there is a tool that will tighten primer pockets, how it works I'm not exactly sure but my dad was thinking about getting one and trying it on some of his 308's and 300wsm he was ready to pitch in the trash bin. Might want to check it out. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Brent,

I bought one a couple of months ago. Haven't yet been able to use it though. ( thought it would fit the neck of 17 Brass, it won't )

It looks like it will put a slight roll crimp into the primer pocket. It looks like a good idea, the mandrel is just to large for what I need.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:14 AM
Gold Member

Unlike powders, rifle and pistol primers are not easy to put in a line of "powerfullness".

The reason is... that the modern primer is more than a pellet of explosive like Azide... it is also mixed with passive ingredents to control heat, and flame duration.

It is also a rumor that "Magnum" primers are more powerful... often they are less powerful and will give lower velocites, but better ignition and lower SD's with heavily coated powders, because of their longer flame duration.

If you were to take a cartridge like the 308 or 30-06, and load it with an easy to light powder like Varget, or H-4350SC... and then test loads by changing the primers... you could make a list of them in order of average velocity... but if you changed powders to a heavily deturent coated one like H-414... and do the same test again, the order of the list would change completely.

CatShooter.

[ 03-22-2003: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

LRH member #23
Old 03-23-2003, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Paul,
That response was easy to understand and it completely made sense. Sure nice to read something on the net like that note, well done and thanks.

Sometimes wish the primer companies would make primers in ten-thousandth (have no idea what a thousandth looks like, but it sounds good) - so that I could keep using brass that I abuse the hell out of and loosen primer pockets. I know, the reason is so that we would not push pressure limits so hard - hate to end up with a 700 Remington bolt in the back of my throat.

Anyhow, someone told me that there is a list of relative primer intensity - still can't find it. Your explanation pretty much suggests that the list wouldn't mean much anyhow, unless you only used one powder. That's good enough for me.
ian