Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Pressure Trace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 PM

Pressure Trace

I have been looking at RSI' s pressure trace system. Anybody using one and care to comment on their thoughts. Evidently my garage has not filled up enough yet over the past 15 years with equipment.

I guess the last thing I'm waiting to see is a portable x-ray machine to ray cases and bullets for fractures.

Thanks much

Frank
Old 11-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pressure Trace

Oops, I mixed up LoadForce & PressureTrace sorry

Last edited by Mikecr; 11-20-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: sorry
Old 11-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Koch View Post
SNIP.

I guess the last thing I'm waiting to see is a portable x-ray machine to ray cases and bullets for fractures.

Thanks much

Frank

Load up your pockets and go to the airport. With their newfangled machines they should see any cracks.....They can check your "cracks" for contraband at the same time

Actually I have one too and it is nice for complete wildcats to see if you are in the ballpark or you should have stuck to knitting!

edge.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Bronze Member

It is a great piece of equipment. I think it should be essential for reloading especially is you are loading wildcats. It is always nice to know what the pressures are in YOUR barrel. Sure beats reading primer cups. At the very least think of it as another tool to aide you in shooing like laser range finders, chronographs, or ballistic software. You can go without it, but it is nice to know the information these give you.

The whole setup does not cost much more than an average factory rifle, so for the price of one gun you get pressure testing equipment (assuming you have a laptop computer).

I bought one two years ago. The only problem I had was the strain gauge wire broke off, but that was my fault for not waiting the 24 hours for the glue to completely set. Either that or I did not clean the surface of the barrel properly. The connector was flopping around and the wire could not handle the recoil and broke. Since then I have not used the system. I already had the data I wanted. The other thing is the strain gauge glue dries after you open it so glue up all the guns you want at the same time.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 PM

Thanks to all